• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge 2 - white line i colorprints

Versus

Graphics
Hello Gerber owners

We got a Gerber Edge 2 running and it make these really annoying white lines pretty much on every single print. Its random if its only a few or more but it ruins some of the print each time.
Its not one specific color og ribbon. has any of you guys tried this?

Attachments

• IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 472

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Since, from your photos, it only appears to be happening with the dark blue foil, it points to either the foil being defective or the cartridge may be jamming a bit. As a test, try switching a different foil in for the dark blue and see if you still get the dropout.

Versus

Graphics
we´ve tried that already unfortunately.
Its like it stops once in a while to buffer, and then it resumes, just for a very short while. and whenever that happens it makes a line.
I have no idea why it stop to think/buffer!

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We've had this same issue for years except the line only runs parallel with the hole punch. And always in the same area with all foils. Like a dead spot in the heating element or something. Ruins the whole row of decals in that region.

Jburns

we´ve tried that already unfortunately.
Its like it stops once in a while to buffer, and then it resumes, just for a very short while. and whenever that happens it makes a line.
I have no idea why it stop to think/buffer!

When it stops-is the foil motor still running?

And the line is perpendicular to the hole punch pattern- right?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The pausing to buffer is just that and it is normal as the Edge reaches back to download more data. The lines are not normal and could be the result of lots of things ... many of which are very expensive to repair. My usual approach is to try to narrow down to whether it is the foil, the vinyl, external cables or something in the Edge itself.

Browner

We've had this same issue for years except the line only runs parallel with the hole punch. And always in the same area with all foils. Like a dead spot in the heating element or something. Ruins the whole row of decals in that region.

Print Head Data Cable

Versus

Graphics
Thanks for all of your responses.

Browner, what do you mean by "Print head Data Cable"?
we have ruled out the Vinyl and foil ribbons as the problem so far

petraea

Hi,
I've had this diagnosed by Gerber Scientific Tech Support, as I've had the same problem.
What began as 2 lines has graduated to 5 or 6 lines.
It is due to "blown pixels" in your Printhead. The blown pixel creates a void rendering the foil color unable to thermally bond to the vinyl under the place where the pixel is blown or no good.
Right now I am getting quotes on replacing the Printhead from Gerber: $2500.00 for the part, $220.00 an hour for labor and travel. You could have them come to you and pay for travel or crate the behemoth up and send it to CT.
cheers,
Pam
Maryland

I would keep paying attention to Fred. Maybe you did a piece of his step already but follow everything he says. As he said it could be multiple things and somebody jumping in and saying it is one thing because that happend to them is not going to help you troubleshoot it. If there was an authority on Gerber Edge machines. Fred would be the guy

Versus

Graphics
Thanks for all your answers. I really do appreciate you taking the time. We have now ordered a Summa DC5 and we will install it from next week. As we have no technical support on it. it should be interesting to see how long it will take us to figure it out.
We couldnt justify fixing the gerber as it was already way too much work using it.

FunkotronXL

Thanks for all your answers. I really do appreciate you taking the time. We have now ordered a Summa DC5 and we will install it from next week. As we have no technical support on it. it should be interesting to see how long it will take us to figure it out.
We couldnt justify fixing the gerber as it was already way too much work using it.

Fred is on the right track with his initial suggestion.

Not a blown pixel or damaged print head as your other foils are laying down properly along the same axis (you would see the same line continue in other prints).

Although possible, I am skeptical that this is a damaged printhead data cable as you typically you would see a missing zone rather than a single line. Could be a buffering issue caused by a failing communication still elsewhere though, maybe the mainboard? If you can disable foil conservation this may circumvent the issue but you will blow through your blue cart.

Check your cartridge for how much is consumed. Sometimes when 75% of a cartridge is used up the foil can bind after larger prints due to friction or mechanical failure (clutches, motor, power supply) affecting the foil drive mechanism; however, if this is consistently in the same spot on every print it indicates a communication issue.

Versus

Graphics
We will try disable the foil conservation, but we will only use it for a few more days before we pack it up and put it on ebay :)

the issue is pretty much only on the chrome, metallic foils and we have tried changeing casette.

signbeth

The pausing to buffer is just that and it is normal as the Edge reaches back to download more data. The lines are not normal and could be the result of lots of things ... many of which are very expensive to repair. My usual approach is to try to narrow down to whether it is the foil, the vinyl, external cables or something in the Edge itself.

signbeth

I am working in Flexi 19. I have just upgraded to a new windows 10 computer. Since upgrading computers, I am having the issue of random thin white vertical lines in my prints. The edge 2 machine is buffering more than usual as well. Can I get some advice on what to try to eliminate these white lines? Vinyl and foil have not changed. Thank you.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I am working in Flexi 19. I have just upgraded to a new windows 10 computer. Since upgrading computers, I am having the issue of random thin white vertical lines in my prints. The edge 2 machine is buffering more than usual as well. Can I get some advice on what to try to eliminate these white lines? Vinyl and foil have not changed. Thank you.

I have to agree with Signage regarding your choice of Flexisign to print to your Edge if for no other reason than most Edge owners use Omega and cannot offer reasonable advice for Flexi.

In narrowing down the cause, you should definitely try printing the job with different foils and vinyl. Colors don't matter. You are just looking to see if any change will cause the white lines to disappear.

The problem could have many different causes. The most likely would have to do with the actual setup in your new computer since that is the last thing that changed.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
I have run every edge model with flexi. Hell, I helped Flexi R&D with running gerber hardware years ago. What you need to do to stop the pausing is to run the edge 2 in 300 DPI mode. It is in 600 DPI mode and will pause every foot or so. Change the quality on the production manager.

The head is fine, your foils are fine.

signbeth

I have run every edge model with flexi. Hell, I helped Flexi R&D with running gerber hardware years ago. What you need to do to stop the pausing is to run the edge 2 in 300 DPI mode. It is in 600 DPI mode and will pause every foot or so. Change the quality on the production manager.

The head is fine, your foils are fine.

I was thinking the pausing was part of the issue as well, so have switched to 300x300 for printing spot colors. Doing that reduced the problem, but it is still doing the pausing which seems to be connected to that line. I understand what folks are saying about the Omega software, but I don't think the Flexi software is the problem in this case since it was working fine before I "upgraded" to windows 10 in a new computer. I have used Flexi for printing to the edge machine for over 10 years and it has gotten the job done. Open to more suggestions please and thank you.