• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge FX Alignment Issue

Don Lunn

I have a Gerber Edge FX and Omega 5 software. Recently when I try to print "output by layer" the alignment is way off from the first layer to the second (about 1.125"). When I print with everything on one layer the alignment is fine. This job I have to print out on separate layers. (trying to print white first on black vinyl and then print colors on the white.)

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Ken M. Klein

I have an older EDGE running on Omega 3 and have done this sort of print job many times by simply rearranging the print order so white prints first and then assigning overprint to the other colors. You might have to mess with the white setting (Flood coat?) so it doesn't knock out the other colors.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It's difficult to advise you on this one because you are describing a printing strategy that makes little sense and the desired results could probably be achieved using a more standard approach.

1. The general rule of printing is to always print the lightest color first proceeding onto the next darkest color with the second pass etc.

2. It is also assumed that the paper or film is white although thermal printing allows one to print successfully on colored substrates. Doing so, however, calls for observing certain changes in technique and limitations to what one can do.

3. Generally speaking, print order and the proper use of the Overprint and Overlap parameter settings is all that is necessary to achieve any desired result. In 18 years I have never found a need to use the Layers feature in Omega nor have I ever found a need to print white foil on black vinyl.

So please explain the following:

Why are you printing on black vinyl instead of simply printing black on white vinyl to start with?

Why are you printing from more than one layer?

Please also post some images of your setup and of the finished print. If you want to send me the PLT file by email attachment, I can also better understand and help you. My email address is in my signature beneath this post.

Don Lunn

The attached is the desired result (a 3 x 4 label). I was going to print on the black vinyl because I like the matte black finish of this vinyl. I guess I can try rearranging the print order as suggested. The main issue I was having was the round logo was a jpg image and I had issue where when I tried to print in one layer on a white vinyl and adding the black was the jpg image would block out a white square behind it.

Thanks

Attachments

• SAM Label P.jpg
    SAM Label P.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 169

Ken M. Klein

Printing white on matte black vinyl produces some interesting, artistic effects that might not give you what you want for these decals. Four color process printing on the Edge leaves something to be desired (my opinion) especially on relatively small decals like yours. You might be happier with the end result if you convert the image to spot color vector art. If matte is absolutely necessary, consider printing on gloss black and laminating with matte clear. There's my 2¢.