• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge FX media jam

cburylax

I got this 2nd gerber edge fx a couple months. Was working fine, then all of a sudden I started getting media jams. I just ordered replacement front pressure foot and rear pressure foot since it seems the media is jumping off the sprockets and these could be old. Anyone see this before?

attachment.php

Attachments

• GERBERJAM.jpg
    GERBERJAM.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 767

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
There are a few possibilities for you to look into. Since you have a second Edge, you should use it to isolate the cause of the problem. I doubt it is the hold down clamps though. In no particular order check ...

• The vinyl could be sticking to the foil when printing and not releasing properly. Does the same vinyl and foil run successfully in your other Edge? If it does, you may have clutch problems in your foil drive. If it doesn't then your answer rests with either the vinyl or the foil.
  • The punch pattern of the vinyl may not match from on side to the other. Lay a square along one side of the vinyl to see if the pin holes align. Also slew the vinyl through the Edge to see if it feeds well without printing going on.
  • The liner of the vinyl, since it is edge stripped, may be too weak to hold up against the pull of the foil when printing. Try a different vinyl.
  • The toggling pin feed sprocket may be binding. This is fairly common and not being able to compensate for variations in width between each side of the punched holes will pull the holes off the sprocket easily. Put some sewing machine oil on a cotton swab and then rub it onto the three stainless steel pins that the toggling sprocket slides on.
  • The foil cassette could be defective. Try the foil in a different cassette.
  • The foil may be defective or the combination of the foil and off brand vinyl may not get along. (Gerber vinyls are not edge stripped.) Try a different foil and vinyl as a test.
  • There could be a buildup of adhesive on the sprocket pins. Are they clean and free of any contamination?
  • Your printhead may be in need of cleaning.
  • You may have loaded the vinyl in a misaligned position.

Please post back your progress.

cburylax

Thanks for the suggestions Fred. I can tell you that the problem seems to be localized to the second Gerber. I bought it used it and it has only recently started to do this. The machine has been thoroughly cleaned. I did have some media punch pattern problems that were present on both machines which I thought was the problem, but that has been remedied and I'm still getting the jams.

I'm think there is a problem with the machine itself that is not related to the foil or foil cartridge. I am able to re-create the problem by slewing the media back and forth through the machine without printing. Sometimes it happens within 2 to 3 feet, sometimes it takes more than 8 feet before the media seems to jump off the sprockets and Jam. This is why I think it has to do with the pressure foot on either side. I will keep investigating and report back. I get the replacement parts in a week.

Jase

Have you tried replacing the plastic wipers or perhaps covering them in masking tape? They maybe catching and causing this problem.

cburylax

Update

While I am waiting for the replacement pressure foot parts, I was able to determine that the vinyl was STICKING to the front vinyl squeegee randomly. What was puzzling was that I had just replaced this exact squeegee. I took the suggestion to wrap it in masking tape but the vinyl was still sticking to it. I then bent it forward to alleviate some of the pressure on the vinyl AND I increased the torque on my front take up reel by about 30% so that it would tug on the vinyl as it was coming out the front. So far this seems to have done the trick. Fingers crossed.