• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber FX refills into Edge 1 & 2 Cartridges

Titch Sanders

Hi Folks,
is there any way I can use an FX refill foil, (new) in an empty Edge ! & 2 cartridge does anyone know please?
I recall hearing about replacement 'plastics' that go in the tubes for it to fit.. but cannot recall exactly where or what they were, Caps I think they're called??
The FX's tubes are a lot larger than the 1 & 2 ones.. internal diameter that is, thus not fitting... unless, I can 'beef' up the plastic holder??
Thanks,
Titch Sanders

Last edited:

Signstein

I don't think they convert that way. I think the adapters convert Edge 1&2 foils for the FX.
Are these what you were thinking of:

Titch Sanders

Hi there,
Thanks for reading my post.. no, it's the other way round if it were possible... I need to try putting the foil refill made for the FX into the Edge 1 & 2 cartridge but the internal diameter on the fx, won't accept the 1 & 2's plastic inserts.
All leading back to my need for Silver Medal cartridges, or refills, for the Edge 1 & 2 over here in the UK..
But thanks for commenting on the dilemma..
Titch

SlikGRFX

If the FX roll will physically fit inside the edge 1/2 cartridge, then I guess you could just wrap tape around the end cap to bring it up to FX size. Never tried this, just a wild guess.

Silver medal 2 for the Edge 1/2 is roughly the same price as FX foil. Why not just buy the correct foil? I know it’s expensive, but it’s readily available.

If you have some fx silver medal you need to get rid of I’ll gladly buy them from you.

Titch Sanders

Hi there,
yes thanks... I had indeed considered building up the end cap, but would worry on the tightness and possible 'slipping' of the foil when using in the Edge.... I have one FX roll to experiment with and will attempt it.
I did in fairness look at this last night.. a trifle 'daunting' I must be honest.. but given time over the weekend, I do intend experimenting with it.
Why oh why can't we have someone else manufacture these... I suspect there may be legalities unfortunately, but it has totally ruined a lot of jobs I can't do whilst replicating original decals.. my daily work.
Please please, anyone with Ideas..??
Titch Sanders

SlikGRFX

You could use a strip of vinyl and wrap it round the cap until you have a nice interference fit with the core. The take up side should work with a standard small core. If all else fails you could transfer the foil onto a smaller core. We did this in the past and made an attachment for a cordless drill to speed up the process.

You can still buy edge 1/2 silver medal foil. I know it’s not as cheap as the aftermarket stuff used to be but the quality is higher. If you need it for your daily work (as we do) then you just have to pay the prices and charge more. If you’re customers don’t want to pay it then unfortunately there isn’t a market for it.

When possible we have reduced costs by printing onto chrome material to reduce foil usage. Could that be an option for you?

Titch Sanders

Hi again,
I appreciate your input here thank you. Yes, I think I am trying to make these tubes fit, but if it works it will only be for the one roll I have left.. busy weekend ahead, but I shall have to make time to try.
I know Spandex list the later Silver Medal, but last time I asked, it was on 'back order' and I have a personal hatred for their prices too.. Why do they try & justify my discount from a RRP I just can't work out either...
Also, I want to use Chrome for a specific customer only, it's not 'that' often we get an order.. (??) but I am recreating specific decals for him and need to continue the 'service' alongside many other things he has from me.
Are you in the UK by any chance too...? I've used Gerber Edges for over 25 years too, I do not have any other process, nor want or need to... however.. printing ONTO Chrome.. yes, it is an option I presume... is this something you could/would do for me if we can converse directly?? Again, if in the UK being of importance..
Many Thanks,
Titch Sanders

SlikGRFX

I’m from the UK but now based in Sweden. Spandex exist here too but we don’t buy any foils from them as they never have stock and their prices are ridiculous. We buy direct from the US.

Always happy to help out. You are welcome to dm me if you need anything printing. Thanks!

Titch Sanders

Ah, possibly it's me not correctly done so..I'm not fluent with 'messaging' to be honest.
How else may we make contact, would you know at all. I appreciate all your input so far. Does my signature give you any clues I wonder?
Regards,
Titch Sanders (Machinery Decals)

FunkotronXL

Haven't tried this before, but, if you can figure out a way to fab cap adapters from FX to E1/2, you don't actually need a cart to load the foil in an E1/2. It'll waste some foil through damage when loading but you only need the posts to print it on and Edge 1/2. The FX requires the cassette; the E1/2 will just be a pain to load or swab the printhead.

Just be mindful with the proper teeth/receivers on each side have a proper total tube height/length, and the supply/retrieve diameter on either side does not cause rubbing on other components as the foil slews.