• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber GCS12 Black Foil

Titch Sanders

Is it just me... our Spandex seem to think so.. I'm over in the UK here, I've had terrible printing problems on my Edge 2 of recent months, in fairness, Spandex are bending over backwards at present trying to help resolve..but, Black being a rather 'important' colour it is giving me grief. Ripping out of the foil when printing, Crease like marks etc when printing much larger than text, for example, two stripes on 380 sprocketed at 4" x 77" one above the other.. the bin's getting full and the bank balance diminishes fast!
I hear 'talk' that Gerber have out sourced their Black foils..if that be the case, then we aren't receiving 'Genuine' Gerber foils are we??
Anyone else having similar problems printing Black?
I've used Edges for over 20 years and never ever had any problems like this...and getting a little fed up with instructions on changing heat settings etc... what? on every single different print job...? I don't think so..
Titch Sanders

Adam.Foster

If you buy Gerber foils from Spandex they are the same Gerber foils they have always been. Nothing has changed with Gerber foils. Now regarding your issue, what specific material are you printing on?
What version of Omega do you have?
Have you installed the most recent materials update?
I would suggest printing the 50% Cobalt blue test on your Edge 2. Please post a photo of the results.

Titch Sanders

Hi Adam,
It would be nice and legit, to think that Gerber do produce these foils of course.
I'm using Hexis Eco or Suptack and version 5.0 of Omega..on an Edge 2. I wouldn't know of, or how, a materials update can assist me when for over 20 years I have never ever had an issue...I say that, and coincident that you mention Cobalt Blue as a test? i did once have an issue, but only once, of Cobalt Blue giving me similar issues, but at the time I put it down to being an old foil, that I had no history of..it came as a job lot that I'd purchased.
However the issues has become apparent, with this Black, only on larger area's of print, and the 'finish' of the print is different..again, never ever having this trouble before..solid Black area's have always been consistent, smooth/clean and crisp... but not at present...
Titch

Adam.Foster

The cobalt blue 50% fill test is to see what's going on with your Edge print head. Using Gerber 220 vinyl or Gerber label stock with cobalt blue gives us a baseline for the test and helps narrow down the problem. In the last couple of months, we had a few customers complain about specific colors but in each case, we found the customer was printing on non-Gerber materials and the non-Gerber material had changed not the foils used. I have no idea if that is true in your case but that is why I want you to run the test to narrow down the variables. The other option would be to take your black foil and material and have it printed with a different Edge and see what happens. Do you have the lot number of the black foil you're having problems with?