• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Plotter Comparison

JulieS

Hi! We're looking at getting a new sprocket-feed plotter (we've had an Envision 375 for 20 years). From research I've done, it looks like the two important advantages of the Envision vs. the cheaper models are SPEED and the ARMS that hold the vinyl down, keep it from jumping off the sprockets as easily. Anyone have advice? Thanks!

signheremd

... and they last 20 years or more... We keep one around because we still use a Gerber Edge, but otherwise we would not need a sprocket-feed plotter and would add another 30" Graphtec with pinch rollers. We currently have one ancient 30" and one newer 60" Graphtec plotter and they are awesome - both can cut 15" rolls of vinyl, scraps or any size up to maximum. But if specifically need a sprocket fed, you can't go wrong with a Gerber.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
In the world of dinosaur computer peripherals, Gerber would be considered the T-Rex...an apex predator, for sure.

JB

Joe House

Hi Julie, it would kind of depend on what you're planning on cutting the most. If you primarily do cast and calendered vinyl, the speed of the EV375 is a big plus. The settings that are controlled from the software are helpful as well. If you tend to cut more difficult materials like reflective or sandblast stencil, the speed advantage evaporates. Then, are you cutting so much vinyl that the speed is a factor? If your current EnVision is running for half a day or more, you probably need the speed. You could probably get a GS or Gx 15 and a 30 inch Graphtec for about the same price as your EnVision, if you need sprockets for Edge output, but still need other cutting done as well. BTW, the Graphtec plotter can cut Edge graphics, if that's an attractive option for you too.

Good Luck,

JulieS

Thanks, y'all! Are we the only ones, then, who have a problem keeping vinyl from going off-track with friction-fed plotters? I mean, I can cut 8 or 12 feet on our Graphtec without adjusting, but the Envision sprocket-fed will cut indefinitely long lengths as long as the vinyl edge punch is good. That's really the main reason we love it.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Another thing to consider is acquiring punched vinyl for sprocket-fed plotters. In today's market they are in the minority, so lower priorities on those materials. That leads to longer wait times and possibly materials being completely unavailable. We are currently waiting on multiple rolls of common color punched vinyl for 2+ weeks...

Hi Julie, it would kind of depend on what you're planning on cutting the most. If you primarily do cast and calendered vinyl, the speed of the EV375 is a big plus. The settings that are controlled from the software are helpful as well. If you tend to cut more difficult materials like reflective or sandblast stencil, the speed advantage evaporates. Then, are you cutting so much vinyl that the speed is a factor? If your current EnVision is running for half a day or more, you probably need the speed. You could probably get a GS or Gx 15 and a 30 inch Graphtec for about the same price as your EnVision, if you need sprockets for Edge output, but still need other cutting done as well. BTW, the Graphtec plotter can cut Edge graphics, if that's an attractive option for you too.

Good Luck,
Joe, you just made my day by saying graphtech will cut Edge Graphics. Thank You! My Gerber GS 15plus quit working suddenly last week (electrical issue of some sort). Which is why I posted earlier about plotter suggestions. Your statement just sealed the deal & now I’m definitely getting a graphtech. I can buy a 64” graphtech for the same amount it would cost for a 15” Gerber.
Is there anything special I need to know in order to get Graphtech to read Gerber registration marks? I have an Edge 2.
My Graphtech is still on the way but it will be great to have information for when it gets here.

Jburns

I have printed on Edge and used a graphtec plotter thru flexi. Unless I was missing something... the crop marks take up print width - was only able to print 9.5 inches or so wide.

GMcCcormick

Joe, you just made my day by saying graphtech will cut Edge Graphics. Thank You! My Gerber GS 15plus quit working suddenly last week (electrical issue of some sort). Which is why I posted earlier about plotter suggestions. Your statement just sealed the deal & now I’m definitely getting a graphtech. I can buy a 64” graphtech for the same amount it would cost for a 15” Gerber.
Is there anything special I need to know in order to get Graphtech to read Gerber registration marks? I have an Edge 2.
My Graphtech is still on the way but it will be great to have information for when it gets here.
Hi Joe-

If you happen to be in the market for an Envision 375 or know of anyone who may be - I have 2 of them that I will be putting up for sale next week. Let me know.

Joe House

Yes, since the reg marks sit outside the graphics, you do loose some width. It's been some time since I've done that. To set it up, Click on the Print Options (123 Icon), then click on the Targets button and select Graphtec Type 2:
1657741915278.png