• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Pricing

WestcoastSigns

So now I'm thinking of getting the Gerber Edge FX. What pricing is a good deal for it? Any Canadians buy one lately and where from?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
In Canada ND Graphics has a monopoly. If you can muster a Washington address, you will be able to find a competitive bid from several distributors.

There are several promotions worth getting familiar with that all GSP distributors will honor. I would recommend the Envision bundle.

You might also want to give Graphic Marking Systems a call. They're in Illinois but may be able to offer some suggestions and/or alternatives like a rebuilt Edge II. They're merchant members here so be sure to mention Signs 101.

WestcoastSigns

I saw the ND graphics as distributor but didn't think they could be the only one in Canada with it. They have Summa too. Not sure if only ones in Canada for that one too. Not much competition especially when you see WA has so many for one state!

WestcoastSigns

In my case, I need very durable decals and when I tested the inkjet printers, some colours in the decals were fading. I don't want to get into laminating them so thermal may be the answer for me. Have to get some samples done up and test them out to be sure.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What is the advantage to using an Edge vs a standard solvent printer and cutter?

• Spot colors & CMYK - No color management needed for spot colors
  • Spot White on clear opens a major market
  • Spot metallic printing foils
  • Huge variety of films to print on
  • No edge curling with bleed cuts
  • Bleed cuts = No need to have a white border around your decals
  • Clear protective overprints means little or no laminating
  • No laminating or drying means a more efficient work flow
  • No solvents
  • Longer life
  • $200 to $300 profit per hour over material cost
Shall I go on?

briankb

Premium Subscriber
thanks for the info and sorry that I hijacked this thread a bit. while I'm at it... do you HAVE to have a Gerber plotter to cut decals printed on an Edge printer? I have a 24" graphtec and see the edge printers on eBay now and again. I would love to have one for decals and t-shirt prints.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
thanks for the info and sorry that I hijacked this thread a bit. while I'm at it... do you HAVE to have a Gerber plotter to cut decals printed on an Edge printer? I have a 24" graphtec and see the edge printers on eBay now and again. I would love to have one for decals and t-shirt prints.

You can use any OPOS equiped plotter but you will lose about an inch of the available 11.8" image height. But for very little money as compared to what you can crank out without breaking a sweat or aggravating yourself, I recommend biting the bullet and paying Gerber their due for a plotter made to do the job.

This much I will offer as an observation when it comes to worrying about hardware and software costs instead of getting yourself in a good position to make money:

As you go through life my son,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut
And not upon the hole.

Mayflower Doughnut Shop, Washington D.C.