• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Printhead SWAP - How difficult? "Recalibrate"?

MarkH42

After confirming that the Edge 1 printhead is the same part number as the Edge 2 printhead, we would like to swap them out. Scott in Gerber tech support says "But, I must be recalibrated . There are a number of things that must be done so it will print correctl. We do not support customers changing out the printhead. As if one thing is off, we maybe on the phone all day trying get the unit to print."

He also told me that Gerber charges $220 per hour "port to port" for a tech to come out. We are in Birmingham, 2 hours away from Atlanta, so if I'm doing the math right, I'll have $880 in drive time before he ever looks at the machine. (This is where I start hearing the chant in my head - "Summa, Summa, Summa, Summa...."). But, before I give up the last piece of equipment in my building that still says Gerber on it, can this printhead swap be done by a mere mortal? Thanks for your help.

(At the risk of seeming unfairly critical of Gerber, these Edge printers were pretty awesome little machines, but Gerber has been stuck in neutral in the innovation department while their competitors have continued to improve and innovate. So it feels like they are taking advantage of the few remaining people in this industry who still use Gerber equipment. Gouging us and damaging their brand reputation is not a problem for them because they are clearly phasing out of this market and aren't trying to build loyalty for future equipment sales. "Might as well gig these last few customers for all we can" seems to be the management philosophy. End of rant.)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Have you contacted Hielorojo as he suggested in your other thread. He claims to have done it himself successfully and is the only person I have ever heard of who has done this.

MarkH42

I have already reached out to Hielorojo to ask for his help. Now our Edge 1 has stopped working. The screen goes blank and it emits morse-code sounding beeps. Powering down and back up sometimes makes it start working again, but the the screen goes blank, or shows ONLINE but doesn't respond to any buttons. So, I need to get started on this! Thanks for the help.

Hielorojo

Anyone care to share this info here or to PM it to me also? I would greatly appreciative the knowledge.
Hello there, I could help you but I think that is better option than MarkH42 help you, because my English is very very basic and he could help you better than me, otherwise if you are patient with me and my English, I have no problem about help you.
Best Regards.

Hielorojo

After confirming that the Edge 1 printhead is the same part number as the Edge 2 printhead, we would like to swap them out. Scott in Gerber tech support says "But, I must be recalibrated . There are a number of things that must be done so it will print correctl. We do not support customers changing out the printhead. As if one thing is off, we maybe on the phone all day trying get the unit to print."

He also told me that Gerber charges $220 per hour "port to port" for a tech to come out. We are in Birmingham, 2 hours away from Atlanta, so if I'm doing the math right, I'll have $880 in drive time before he ever looks at the machine. (This is where I start hearing the chant in my head - "Summa, Summa, Summa, Summa...."). But, before I give up the last piece of equipment in my building that still says Gerber on it, can this printhead swap be done by a mere mortal? Thanks for your help.

(At the risk of seeming unfairly critical of Gerber, these Edge printers were pretty awesome little machines, but Gerber has been stuck in neutral in the innovation department while their competitors have continued to improve and innovate. So it feels like they are taking advantage of the few remaining people in this industry who still use Gerber equipment. Gouging us and damaging their brand reputation is not a problem for them because they are clearly phasing out of this market and aren't trying to build loyalty for future equipment sales. "Might as well gig these last few customers for all we can" seems to be the management philosophy. End of rant.)

Hello mate! What about of your Gerber Printhead?? Work well yet??
Regards.