• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber scientific stop manufacturing machines..real or not?

alistair

Have you seen https://www.efi.com/de-de/products/...oll-printers/matan-thermal-transfer-printers/ ?

My last information around 2 years ago about that printers is that they are still in production upon request. They print with higher speeds in comparison to gerber, and have 6 printheads for printing six colors at once (there are videos available on youtube), will be a different price range too, but could be a possibility.
I have been running a Matan thermal transfer printer for over 15 years, they are well built!

Signsfyi

I have had and still have Gerber GS15+ and an EdgeFX. They work along side my HP 315 and Graphtec. There are just certain things the the FX could do that my large format printer could not like print on clear and do real short runs fast with no need of laminate and less waste. That aside, I am so fast and good with Gerber Omega that I use it in design. I like that you can still own them. My fear is that they will eventually switch to a subscription based model like everyone else. I hope to retire in about 10 years, so maybe I will survive that downfall. Renting everything is just wrong.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
What about the summa?
Gerber cashed in at the beginning when profits were good and competition was few and far between. Computerized sign making is a mature market, their exit from it is a smart business move. Why dump money into technology with very little progression and have to compete with stuff that's mass produced in China? Graphtec will be the next one to exit for the same reasons.

ego198

What about the summa?
Gerber cashed in at the beginning when profits were good and competition was few and far between. Computerized sign making is a mature market, their exit from it is a smart business move. Why dump money into technology with very little progression and have to compete with stuff that's mass produced in China? Graphtec will be the next one to exit for the same reasons.
i guess summa had termal pirnting units and they were a really big fiasco....i just desire some company buy gerber rights and continue producing what gerber does,,keep producing material and foils etc...there are many customers worldwide would keep buying from them...

matucla

I have been running a Matan thermal transfer printer for over 15 years, they are well built!
Hi I am searching for Matan Spot Orange ribbon (but can also use Gerber Edge and/or Duracoat from IIMAK). Do you all happen to know any current or former Matan users who might have some they can sell me? Thanks for ANY help...I am looking everywhere.

zillion29

The GS/HS-15 plotters and the Edge were bulletproof, functional industrial tools that perfectly suited the markets they were designed to service. The engineers and R&D people responsible were all top notch. Gerber started circling the drain when, after the passing of Joe Gerber, management actually thought they could play with the big dogs and get into wide format and inkjet. They put their R&D and engineering staff in a no-win situation, tasking them with impossible goals for their skill level. After the Maxx imploded, the company was effectively on life support for 20 years. So sad to read this.