• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber scientific stop manufacturing machines..real or not?

ego198

gerber stops.jpg

Hi mates, today i was advised with this notice, Gerber stop producing FX and plotters,,,is that real or not?
How do you front this notice?
If it is true, how do you deal with this news in your business? Are you thinking of taking the step towards another technology? Are you going to continue at Gerber? It really is shocking news...

Attachments

• gerber stops.jpg
    gerber stops.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,386

ego198

What does this announcement really mean, that in the future we will not be able to buy Gerber machines? can't we buy parts either? We will not be able to buy anything, neither machines, nor cartridges nor vinyl? What will happen to brands like Duracoat, Zeronine and others... will they cease their activity?
Whats your opinion?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Please include your source for this information. I went to Lectra's website and could find nothing of the sort.

I briefly scanned through their Q3 2022 quarterly report, and the only alarming thing I could find was Lectra's relentless push toward Industry 4.0 (IoT), including their recent acquisitions...which, I suspect, ultimately means Gerber Omega will eventually become SAAS.

https://www.lectra.com/sites/default/files/investors_files/Lectra_Financial_Report_Q32022.pdf

JB

Last edited:

Joe House

It's true. We got notice this week that Gerber is stopping production of Edge machines and 15 plotters. It didn't address other sizes. Omega will continue to be sold and supported nothing was mentioned as far as SaaS, but with their security dongles, unless you upgrade, you should be able to keep running what you have. Also, of note, nothing was mentioned about the future of Omega development, only that it would continue to be supported.

They plan on supporting the machines with parts and supplies for at least another 7 years. Though we've run into some supply chain issues on parts over the last year or so, so this is kind of dependent on their suppliers. It's kind of a sad end of an era. I've been dealing Gerber equipment since SM-IV days. I've been able to play with all of the toys that they put out over the years - some were good and some were flops, but for the most part - early on anyway - they were innovative. If you get a chance, read Joseph Gerber's biography. He was an amazing guy with an amazing story.

FrankW

To be honest: after Gerber wasn´t able until now to develop a 15" tractor driven Cutting Plotter with an USB-Port, it looks like that they have stopped developping their hardware 15 or 20 years ago.

ego198

Hello Frank, in your opinion as an expert distributor and also Joe House as an expert, those of us who base our business 80% on Gerber edge, which will happen with us in the medium term... that is, perhaps 1 year from now we will no longer be able to buy more consumables such as cartridges or punched rolls vinyl or is this somewhat unlikely? Do you think it is possible that some other manufacturer continues to make gerber edge's (like IBM with lenovo for example)? is all the things gerbe edge related going to dessapear?

Last edited:

Billct2

The Edge and some of their plotters are some of the best most durable machines built. They were one of the inventors of computer sign making. They dfintely had some misteps along the way but It's a shame they are doing this.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Hello Frank, in your opinion as an expert distributor and also Joe House as an expert, those of us who base our business 80% on Gerber edge, which will happen with us in the medium term... that is, perhaps 1 year from now we will no longer be able to buy more consumables such as cartridges or punched rolls vinyl or is this somewhat unlikely? Do you think it is possible that some other manufacturer continues to make gerber edge's (like IBM with lenovo for example)? is all the things gerbe edge related going to dessapear?

Unless I'm missing something, where are you getting that they won't be producing foils anymore? The release you copied and pasted specifically says they will stop making equipment and specifically says they will continue to produce Edge-ready materials.

FrankW

They announced that they will deliver parts and consumables for another 7 years from now. And with luck your edge will run some additional years using third party ribbons until some broken part is not replacable anymore. This is a very comfortable amount of time to adapt your business.

The thermal transfer market decreases for years now, the application field were this printers has advantages are small. I work for my current company since nearly four years, and I think we have only 2 or 3 units sold all over germany over this time. Summa have stopped selling machines, now Gerber does, and I‘m not shure if Matan Spring3 is still available to buy (Matan Sprinter and Spark are gone too a long time ago).

If Lectra would see a possibility to earn money with this business, they would continue …

netsol

not really shocking.
as soon as gerber was acquired, i kind of assumed it would happen eventually.
parts, etc will be available 3rd party for as long as any of us need them, i think.

software updates for whatever horror follows windows 11, who knows?
we are a flexi shop, primarily, but do run gerber software on a couple machines

ego198

Unless I'm missing something, where are you getting that they won't be producing foils anymore? The release you copied and pasted specifically says they will stop making equipment and specifically says they will continue to produce Edge-ready materials.
hi mate thats the reason why im opening this topic, to discuss this announcement, im heavy user gerber edge and im really interested to know what will happen in the future and id like to hear your opinions on this annoucement...
im just asking, no offence, if they stop producing printing machines...whats the logic to keep producing foils and pucnhed vinyls for a machine that is no longer continued..¿?

ego198

They announced that they will deliver parts and consumables for another 7 years from now. And with luck your edge will run some additional years using third party ribbons until some broken part is not replacable anymore. This is a very comfortable amount of time to adapt your business.

The thermal transfer market decreases for years now, the application field were this printers has advantages are small. I work for my current company since nearly four years, and I think we have only 2 or 3 units sold all over germany over this time. Summa have stopped selling machines, now Gerber does, and I‘m not shure if Matan Spring3 is still available to buy (Matan Sprinter and Spark are gone too a long time ago).

If Lectra would see a possibility to earn money with this business, they would continue …
thanks,! thats why i asked, i dont understand why the cease producing this machines in my opinion, we are many who make money with them and would like to keep being gerber customers....so i guess its profitable for us as printers and for them as a company....i dont understand the reason for this sad announcement.

ego198

not really shocking.
as soon as gerber was acquired, i kind of assumed it would happen eventually.
parts, etc will be available 3rd party for as long as any of us need them, i think.

software updates for whatever horror follows windows 11, who knows?
we are a flexi shop, primarily, but do run gerber software on a couple machines
Yes, really shocking for me,
Friend for me the fact of thinking that Gerber disappears is shocking, believe me, my business is 80% based on Gerber Edge, without them I would be forced to close, neither Roland, nor Summa, nor Mimaki offer me an alternative to replace Gerber and being able to satisfy my clients...it's no joke.

ego198

I am aware that the market niche for Gerber is small, but it is profitable, my concern is given because I do not see an alternative for all those who want to continue working and printing with thermal printing, Gerber was let's say the last alternative and if they leave , all of us who belong to this small market niche are completely orphaned and forced to close. I don't think the situation has changed much from 10 years to now as a couple leave the market...

ego198

If you get a chance, read Joseph Gerber's biography. He was an amazing guy with an amazing story.
i will do mate, for me this company is top and im so sad thinking they will cease this activity, for me they are the best. not cheap, but very best quality.