• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber swivel Knife assembly

openwood

I purchased the Stencil cutting assembly from gerber awhile ago.I have never been able to get it to work to well and have given up cutting sandblast stencil on my table. Just wondering if any one else has had experience using this option.I think it would work better with a larger cutting surface on the blade. I have already been to the gerber site and looked at their instructions and still have not been able to cut without problems.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'm confused as to which device this is that you've had a problem with.

What plotter model are you using? Can you provide a link to the Gerber page that describes the swivel knife module?

openwood

knife

I have a sabre 408 Router table.the knife assembly fits the 1/2 inch collet.The trouble that i am having is iniatalizing the knife properly.It is spring loaded and very touchy.I just found the info on the site.one problem ,they do not claim it can cut stencil any more.I was taught and told of this product from another company and was told the process they used to cut stencil.
Fred you seem like a good person to ask about plotters.Is there a plotter made to cut sandblast stencil anymore, it seems everthing is geared twoard vinyl these days, we also work on macs which can cause other issues.We are still using an old sprocket fed machine.Friction feed and sandblast stencil sounds scary to us.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
There's two ways to go that come to mind depending on your needs:

1. Look for any of the older Gerber plotters used. These would range from Signmakers, Sprint series, SuperSprint series and HS-15's in the 15 inch models and S-750 or HS-750 in the 30 inch models. All are sprocket fed and use tangential tool heads and work very well for sandblast resist cutting when a 60 degree knife is used. I would avoid the GS plotter series for sandblast. All of these plotters are discontinued but were real workhorse machines that will serve most needs.

2. The Envision 375 and 750 in the current lineup are sprocket fed, high speed plotters utilizing much improved swivel knife technology. Fairly pricey but also very capable.

If you're interested in an older Sprint system, I have a 15 inch and 30 inch two plotter setup I've been thinking of selling.

barb

I have had good luck with graphtec and I am told the summa plotters are also well suited to cut sandblast resist.