• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Get the most current Updates for Summa

TerryStolmeier

I have never had a problem with my D-60, but I have had problems with my computer recently that has left me without the software I need to continue working. With the help of other members and Google, I have found that the US Summa website DOES NOT have the most current updates for your Summa.

The Belgium Summa website does. http://www.summa.be/pages/soft.shtml

You can download the current version of Summa Cutter Control as well as ALL the files you need to install WinPlot (if you use it) The US website does not have the most current files. Why? Who knows. Maybe someone from Summa can tell us. Or better yet... make everything available on the US site and save people in the future the frustrations I've had.

Decal_Designs

Maybe the U.S. files are supposed to be different?

I don't know, but the Cutter Control file is 4.3 at the U.S. site and 4.5 at the Belgium site.

The USB drivers are the same.

The firmware for the Summa D60 and 120 are revision 11 at the U.S. site and revision 13 at the Belgium site, but revision 13 seems to have the wrong file extension.

Don't upgrade the firmware without calling Summa tech support first. I don't know why, but that's what they said.

TerryStolmeier

I have not changed my firmware, but I have been using the new cutter control for a few days with out any problems. I actually didn't even notice the firmware since I just updated mine a couple weeks ago. My main focus was on the software.

I just found it frustrating that they have the WinPlot software on the US site and clearly states "A vinyl-cutting program that plugs-in to newer versions of CorelDRAW..." but the file that is needed to do so is no where to be found.

ChiknNutz

I've updated to all the latest [Belgium files] with no problems whatsoever. The firmware has a cool new function called TurboCut that supposedly speeds up the cutting substantially - which is most noticeable with detailed stuff. I can't really comment on that FACT myself, but all the latest drivers and updates work fine. Now, don't hold my nuts to the fire if you do the same and hose your plotter.

THATgirl

Hey speaking of summas, I just got a friends Summa and he can't seem to find any of the driver info. He was in the sign business a few years ago and this plotter has just been sitting in his shop pretty much unused... so he decided to give it to me!!! Says on the back it is a GRC-61....anyone know what driver? thanks!

TerryStolmeier

Colin -

The website states "...is compatible with all Summa cutters." I would assume it would work for you D750.

Thatgirl -

Since you are in Seattle, I would head over to their location and talk with some of the people there. They are at 10001 Lake City Way NE . I drove up there and picked my D60 up a few years ago and was treated great. They explained everything and answered all my questions.

I'm sure they would either have the information you need or know where to get it.

Decal_Designs

Colin said:
So, with my four year old D750 Pro, will I benefit from a newer cutter control?

I'd say yes, as long as you have Firmware Revision 5 or newer.

Cutter Control 4.5 for Windows
(2.46 MB - Revised 17-Jun-04) — software interface for adjusting all Summa cutter parameters, including speed, mode, pressure, blade offset and much more. Supports Windows 95/98/2000/NT/Me/XP, and is compatible with all Summa cutters.

I'm not sure how to check the firmware version yet though.

THATgirl

Thanks Terry......I need to do that. I am still using my old Roland (that I still love) but am looking forward to trying out the new cutter.

Decal_Designs

THATgirl said:
Hey speaking of summas, I just got a friends Summa and he can't seem to find any of the driver info. He was in the sign business a few years ago and this plotter has just been sitting in his shop pretty much unused... so he decided to give it to me!!! Says on the back it is a GRC-61....anyone know what driver? thanks!

Are you sure it's a Summa?
I did a search for GRC-61 and came up with these cutters.

GCC SignPal ultra GRC-61 Link to GCC
Vinyl Express GRC-61 Link

THATgirl

OK I just called the friend who gave me his plotter. He said it is a Vinyl Express......summa cutter? hmmm

THATgirl

Thanks Bill....he says he is bringing over the book and all the other stuff he can find soon. He is rather unorganized, so I hope he can find the CD. I love my old Roland....but it will be nice to have a faster plotter too. Anybody know if these vinyl express plotters are ok? Wonder why he said it is a Summa?

Decal_Designs

GraphiXtreme said:
The firmware revision is displayed on the control panel when you first turn on the machine.

Mine didn't do that, it just says it's testing something and then displays speed and blade pressure, but it does say the Rom Revision (firmware) in the Cutter Control Software.

Decal_Designs

THATgirl said:
..... Wonder why he said it is a Summa?

Maybe it's like asking for a Band-Aid instead of an adhesive bandage or a Coke instead of an artificially and naturally flavored carbonated soda.

Maybe Summa is the word for vinyl cutters? :thumb:

THATgirl

maybe vinyl express sells a plotter that is made by summa with the brand name removed for vinyl express to sell? I don't know......or maybe vinyl express has a plotter that is the equivalent of a summa? I am really anxious to see it cut....

Decal_Designs

I think it will cut great. The specs on it looked good, and the price you paid for it couldn't be beat! I'm working on getting my Summa D60 set up today with VMP. Same here, really anxious to cut something too! :biggrin: