• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting a new computer

149motorsports

Im looking to get a new computer as mine is at least 10 yrs old, dell inspirion 531!

All I use on it is my flexi 10 (just do vinyl cutting, no printing), quick books, internet.
Pretty basic stuff.

I remember someone saying that flexi 10 only operates on a certain windows operation system, not the new one?

Can anyone direct me towards a good tower (do not want laptop). Black friday is next week, so im sure their will be some good deals! Thanks all!

149motorsports

The dell inspirion 531 worked great for me, but its not supported by programs anymore. Im not looking for a high end computer as I don't use it a lot as my business is part time.

Asuma01

Which operating system does Flexi10 work on? You cant buy new computers with windows xp anymore. You are going to have a hard time getting xp to work on newer hardware because none of them will be supporting an old 10 year old OS.

WildWestDesigns

Which operating system does Flexi10 work on? You cant buy new computers with windows xp anymore. You are going to have a hard time getting xp to work on newer hardware because none of them will be supporting an old 10 year old OS.

Sometimes compatibility mode in newer OSs can work. It does depend on the program in question though.

Could always VM XP, however, that will require an XP install media and activation code and would require more specs then the Dell previously used as you would be essentially running to OSs at one time.

If you have to keep an older OS running, I prefer to VM versus getting used hardware that will run the OS on bare metal, but that's me. However, how good the VM setup is is determined proportionally to the hardware that you get.

brycesteiner

Why are you looking for a new computer?
You say you don't use it much. New computer requires new OS, which requires new RIP, new RIP might require new hardware to drive. If what you have works and works well and you still want to upgrade, I would consider using the virtual machine option. It makes it fully portable to another computer when the time comes and you don't have to upgrade your OS or your software because it will be running the same just in a sandbox.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Get a Mac and enjoy the ease of use and thoughtful integration of applications. The extra cost will be paid for in a few days of use. I know that the hard-core power users look down their noses at us silly Mac users. Why pay an extra couple hundred dollars when you can solder up a DIY extension board and run Open Source VM solutions with only a few pages of simple UNIX coding? Using a Mac is sort of like driving a Porsche: if you don't have one you ridicule the vanity of those that do, but once you drive one...

In a production environment, any well specified PC will run Flexi 10 (including your Dell). If all you are doing is running Flexi, your old computer will work fine. But once you head off into the internet and start using a computer for other tasks, you will appreciate a something more current.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
The VM solutions are the way to go. With a Mac you can use Boot Camp, but I recommend Parallels. You will also need a copy of MS OS (whichever version runs your program, from XP through 10 - I would get MS 10 because you will likely be getting Flexi 12 eventually.

WildWestDesigns

Get a Mac and enjoy the ease of use and thoughtful integration of applications. The extra cost will be paid for in a few days of use. I know that the hard-core power users look down their noses at us silly Mac users. Why pay an extra couple hundred dollars when you can solder up a DIY extension board and run Open Source VM solutions with only a few pages of simple UNIX coding? Using a Mac is sort of like driving a Porsche: if you don't have one you ridicule the vanity of those that do, but once you drive one...

You do realize that Macs are UNIX-like don't you (actually, it's based (at least the kernel (Darwin)) off BSD). Because of that, I actually do have some Apple software (mainly Cups) on my computer.

No coding involved in the VM solution. Don't even have to do open source. Plenty of closed sourced options out there that work on all the platforms. Bare in mind, I never mentioned the host OS either, if the OP sticks with Windows, no UNIX anything there.

Given the direction that Apple is going in, I would be hesitant on a Mac, but then again, I've made no bones about not liking the direction of Windows either. Pick your poison.

The VM solutions are the way to go. With a Mac you can use Boot Camp, but I recommend Parallels.

BootCamp is dual booting, it's not a VM. Parallels is, but BootCamp is not.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'll get a lot of "dislikes" for this.... but Signburst computers are way overpriced for what they are.

I checked them out expecting them to be high based on your comment and it's even higher than I thought! This is to be expected for pre-built computers however. The market they are trying to capture doesn't build their own computers so they tack on a premium. I built a computer recently with very similar specs to their best selling Inferno computer. It cost me about $1300.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Overkill? If all the OP is doing is running Flexi, he's fine with what he has. But if he wants to use a computer for anything else, including just having fun playing games and whipping around the internet, Macs are a good choice! I use an old PC to run my plotter, but I do everything else with an up-to-date Mac.

PCs are fine. They are initially less expensive and you can open them up and play with their guts easier. Lots of secondary market accessories and DIY opportunities. And you may be used to the Windows OS. You can bend the PC to your will. Macs are more plug and play, and the software developers have to bend to Macs will to work on the Mac OS. The end result is an easier learning curve and a more intuitive operating space.

Signed: Mac fanboy

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I checked them out expecting them to be high based on your comment and it's even higher than I thought! This is to be expected for pre-built computers however. The market they are trying to capture doesn't build their own computers so they tack on a premium. I built a computer recently with very similar specs to their best selling Inferno computer. It cost me about $1300.

Yea, that inferno costs about double what those specs should be. They have a good business model though... make a commodity industry specific, sell to business owners that probably are not aware of the cost of technology, and sign business owners have $$ to blow and think the more the better. Signburst is doing well for themselves.

Johnny Best

Overkill? If all the OP is doing is running Flexi, he's fine with what he has. But if he wants to use a computer for anything else, including just having fun playing games and whipping around the internet, Macs are a good choice! I use an old PC to run my plotter, but I do everything else with an up-to-date Mac.

PCs are fine. They are initially less expensive and you can open them up and play with their guts easier. Lots of secondary market accessories and DIY opportunities. And you may be used to the Windows OS. You can bend the PC to your will. Macs are more plug and play, and the software developers have to bend to Macs will to work on the Mac OS. The end result is an easier learning curve and a more intuitive operating space.

Signed: Mac fanboy

I have used Macs since the MacPlus. Looking to upgrade my MacBookPro in a month or so. Run my plotter with a separate laptop and my RIP with another. I also am a Mac fanboy!

neato

Comparing the cost of parts to the cost of a well built computer isn't very fair.

It's like saying a sign shop is overpriced since the vinyl and ink they use is so innexpensive.

That said, I still think they're overkill for what the OP needs.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Comparing the cost of parts to the cost of a well built computer isn't very fair.

It's like saying a sign shop is overpriced since the vinyl and ink they use is so innexpensive.

What is a computer other than a collection of parts? What is "well built"?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide

I'm sure they are well built but I have been building my own since 6th grade so parts are always cheaper than having someone do it for me. Things have changed so much a lot of guys in the DIY computer building circles call it, Adult Legos.