• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting hosed by a supplier

sjm

A couple of weeks ago a placed an order with a supplier. When I placed the order I was told it would be a 5-6 day lead time as the distribution center that they ship to us from was out of stock and that it would ship from another one of their distribution locations.

The lead time was acceptable as the job could still be produced and meet the deadline.

On day 6 when the material didn't arrive, I followed up with the supplier who said they made an error and rather the material arriving on my dock it was shipped to the distribution center that would normally ship to us.

At that time I was told it would take another 3 days for the material to arrive at my location putting the job in jeopardy. Point blank I said to the supplier they had to do better and they said it would arrive in 1 day guaranteed.

The product arrived as promised but the invoice that followed reflected a hefty freight charge.

How do suppliers expect to remain in business when they admit to a mistake yet pass the cost burden onto the buyer?

in my experience it is important to be crystal clear when these situations arise, do not assume anything. make sure to ask "and you will be covering the expedited freight to insure that we receive the material in time to do the job because of your oversight"...

if these things are clarified there are no surprises...if they are not chances are you are going to receive a bill.

sjm

So if I have an e-mail that states the supplier rep made an error and they expedited the material at their discretion without my approval first that I should be on the hook?

So what your saying good business practice does not exist I should just eat the cost for their error? Or at least argue with the supplier's AP department to prove they are in error ? All this when the supplier sales rep admitted so much?

I fail to see the principle in a sales rep misleading a client.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
its not misleading, if you never asked if they'd be picking up the freight costs...

i would call the supplier and explain the situation....i've found that if you're not a hot head about it, nine out of ten times, they will work with you...if it's their fault (which, by account, it is), they should have no problem taking the additional cost for the expedited freight off the bill....

tomence

I guess it all depends on who the supplier is. If it is a trusted name like maybe Fellers they will take care of you, but if not then they may not care about customer service. Maybe they are all about one time deals.

sjm

Customer Service is Customer Service ... whether it be a Fellers or yourself providing such. Though I do understand short term there is a gain but long term .... [fill in this space]

lol i love how people add to the story after people give answers...put the whole situation out there. i'll say it again if you make assumptions on situations like this you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. you think joe salesperson is going to open himself up to management questioning him why they are eating freight that may exceed the profit they are making on a project? if you don't ask the question you are leaving the ball in his court to cover his butt...

you can dream about the good ole days of great customer service but those companies are few and far between anymore...sad but true..and then when most people find companies that service the pants off of their customers they whine about the prices they charge to pay for that competent help that cares about their job and customers..be a big boy, man up ask the tough, uncomfortable questions or risk disappointment and surprise.

Mainframe

Dan is right, ask every possible question you can, if it was me they were dealing with, the first question I would have asked is WHO IS PAYING FOR 1 DAY SHIPPING? If they insisted I pay, I would order it from someone else just to keep them from getting the sale. And they would have lost my business & I would have called them out by name in a post. Assuming things will always get you in trouble. Paying for shipping is a pet peeve of mine, I am a master at getting out of it-LOL-Sometimes:toasting:

sjm

you can dream about the good ole days of great customer service but those companies are few and far between anymore...sad but true..and then when most people find companies that service the pants off of their customers they whine about the prices they charge to pay for that competent help that cares about their job and customers..be a big boy, man up ask the tough, uncomfortable questions or risk disappointment and surprise.

That's just sad. Suggesting there is no value in great customer service only reinforces what I have expressed. That being lets make a quick buck while hiding behind the bureaucracy.

Though I must admit I come from the old school where a hand shake was your promise to deliver.

I guess you could be right as a market matures and becomes more of a commodity price does dictate the out come. Sad aint it?

i agree it is sad. i would rather do business with a handshake..but that is not the world we live in and pretending or imagining that we do is only going to set you up for disappointment.