• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CC-CMYK

We’re getting into uv printing ada signs. What is the best place to get type 2 braille? Is there a plug in for illustrator? Is there a place online?

What is the process of finding the correct translations and incorporating them into your files?

Just beginning this process.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Duxbury is (or was) the plug in that most programs use for translation. It will do Type I or Type II Braille.
If your UV printer offers the "ADA" option, then it should have a program that allows you to do the Braille correctly.
There are some online converters that you can copy/paste the info to and from, but- when using them- it's still up to the designer to size/kern them correctly.

CC-CMYK

Duxbury is (or was) the plug in that most programs use for translation. It will do Type I or Type II Braille.
If your UV printer offers the "ADA" option, then it should have a program that allows you to do the Braille correctly.
There are some online converters that you can copy/paste the info to and from, but- when using them- it's still up to the designer to size/kern them correctly.
Thanks! This is helpful:)

Kimberly Hiles

DarkerKat
We do all of our braille for ADA signs in Flexi. It's expensive and clunky software but the auto-serializing makes setting up large batches of signs much easier.

CC-CMYK

We do all of our braille for ADA signs in Flexi. It's expensive and clunky software but the auto-serializing makes setting up large batches of signs much easier.
Do you make your files and export them as EPS and use another rip or do you rip in flexi? What printer do you use?

signbrad

I think our Signlab has a Braille module. It adds the Braille at the correct location under the letters as you type. We then print out the raised letters and Braille on the DCS machine, which usually seems to deposit enough ink to make the dots legal.
We have had lots of expensive problems with the DCS. Boss is not happy and is looking elsewhere for a replacement. But it worked great at the sign show.

Prior to the DCS machine, we sandblasted Corian to achieve raised Braille and tactile letters. You had to blast the entire background evenly. The blast mask then served as a paint mask.

We also use Braille beads. And we use self-adhesive Gravotac, ADA material, by reverse-engraving using the rotary engraver. No method seems to be perfect.

CC-CMYK

I'm curious what shop software you will use to track the production of the individual signs. Also, will your shop be responsible for installation?
Right now our shop is small and so are our jobs. If we do big jobs we make spreadsheets and use Trello. We’re always looking for better ways to track jobs. Not sure what we will use going forward. We do offer installation on all of our signs but charge enough to make it worth it.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I think our Signlab has a Braille module. It adds the Braille at the correct location under the letters as you type. We then print out the raised letters and Braille on the DCS machine, which usually seems to deposit enough ink to make the dots legal.
We have had lots of expensive problems with the DCS. Boss is not happy and is looking elsewhere for a replacement. But it worked great at the sign show.

Prior to the DCS machine, we sandblasted Corian to achieve raised Braille and tactile letters. You had to blast the entire background evenly. The blast mask then served as a paint mask.

We also use Braille beads. And we use self-adhesive Gravotac, ADA material, by reverse-engraving using the rotary engraver. No method seems to be perfect.
Brad, if you search the forum, I wrote a detailed list of issues that I'd had with the DCS printer and their "support". Too late to make you reconsider now, but maybe it'll help in some way?

Kimberly Hiles

DarkerKat
Do you make your files and export them as EPS and use another rip or do you rip in flexi? What printer do you use?
We export the files back to Illustrator and set them up from there depending on the process we're using the produce the signs (Photopolymer, Drilled Braille Beads/Applique, or UV Printed) We have the Mimaki JFX200-2513EX

Kimberly Hiles

DarkerKat
Have you had issues with the raised ink curling and chipping off the the signs from DCS like this?

Attachments

• IMG_4040.JPEG
    IMG_4040.JPEG
    646.3 KB · Views: 86

pro-up

That sign looks a lot like it was cleaned with something alcohol based. The frosting on the blue portion really looks like it's been sprayed with alcohol.

rossmosh

There's a plugin on the Sawmillcreek forum for CorelDraw which does ADA. I tried it and found it to be wrong in several ways but it's doubtful anyone will give a crap.

If you're not doing a ton of it, download the braille font online. Find out what size font sets the braille the correct spacing. There are specs online. Then just dump the translations from one of the online translators.

If you have a lot of signs to do, you can just do it with variable text and an Excel file. It's really not that much work.

AKA TRE

We’re getting into uv printing ada signs. What is the best place to get type 2 braille? Is there a plug in for illustrator? Is there a place online?

What is the process of finding the correct translations and incorporating them into your files?

Just beginning this process.
I produce a fair amount of ADA signage in house. I used to do the braille beads after holes were drilled with an old xenetech rotary engraver. This process was laborious but did work. We then purchased a DCS small format UV machine. This did increase our productivity tremendously, however the machine, support, and company as a whole left a lot to be desired. Do some research and buyer beware when dealing with DCS. At the time they seemed to have the lock on UV braille printing technology. After several years of fighting with my DCS machine(s) I searched for a new option and I found the Mutoh XperJet 661-UF and I love it. The print quality is far superior and it is a very solid and reliable machine. We use Flexi design and VerteLith Rip. Almost all of the signs are printed on a ADA approved acrylic substrate 1/8" works best usually. Good Luck!