• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

getting into large format printing...

SUPALOSDOG

I would like to know where to begin when it comes to large format printing... do you really need a $20K printer to get into offering wraps and full color graphics to customers?

I don't even know where to start.. I was looking at printers in my TUBELIGHT catalog, the only one I saw that I recognized as quality was a MIMAKI... big bucks!

I am not even sure about the process... there are different materials... inks... and laminates?

any help out there?

ChiknNutz

The best way to determine if want to pursue it further, is to simply offer it to clients, but sub out the printing to someone else. After doing this for a while, you'll get familiar with setting up the files properly, what mat'ls you like to use, what mat'ls are used for what type of job, etc. But, YES, $20k for a printer is just about the going rate for a 48+ inch machine capable of producing outdoor durable graphics. That doesn't include a laminator which can vary WIDELY (and yes, you need to laminate abrasion/chemical/UV-prone prints).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your best bet would be to go to a show or two and take a big notebook along. Take notes on the different printers/cutters/combos. There are so many out there and according to all the salespeople they will all do the job for you. You won’t understand the jargon, but at least you’ll have price ranges and see first hand what they can do…. but remember, these printers are all doing things from discs that have been made with the most expert artists behind them. You’ll be amazed at all of them.

Then start subbing out as GX explained and see just what your area will be. If you want to go towards wraps as you pointed out, solvent, mild solvent or thermal will be what you probably end up with based on the space you have available in your shop. Also, along with your real estate will determine if you get three separate machines or a piggy-back. Don’t forget the laminator for certain applications takes up a lot of room too.

Good Luck………….​