• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Getting Omega 5 to send jobs to Summa S2 T160 OPOS CAM

ChrisN

We just got a new Summa S2 T160 OPOS CAM to replace our old Summa S 160T, and I'm trying to get GSPPlot to talk to it. The problem is, Omega 5.0 doesn't seem to support the S2 series. I tried using the old S series drivers, but I just get errors when trying to send jobs. It's connected via USB, which it needs in order for the camera to work. I'm not trying to get the camera working in Omega - just the ability to cut plain vinyl jobs.

So my question is - does anyone have a S2 set up to cut out of Omega/Composer/GSPPlot version 5? Or does Omega 6.5 have support for the S2 series?

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good afternoon,

Are you using the generic HPGL driver in Omega right now or is the old Summa driver still selected? If you haven't tried the generic HPGL option I would maybe give that a shot. You may need to select the correct USB port that is being used, if Omega will allow you to do that. You can use Summa Cutter Control to determine the USB port that the cutter is connected to, but usually it is USB port 1.

As a backup plan, you could also use Winplot for cut only jobs that don't require the use of the camera. If it's possible, and I don't see why it wouldn't be, to output a pdf from Omega(print to file maybe?) you could import those pdf cut files right into Winplot and then send them to the cutter from there.

Feel free to send me a PM or an email to philj@airmark.com if you would like to pick my brain on this.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

ChrisN

Good afternoon,

Are you using the generic HPGL driver in Omega right now or is the old Summa driver still selected? If you haven't tried the generic HPGL option I would maybe give that a shot. You may need to select the correct USB port that is being used, if Omega will allow you to do that. You can use Summa Cutter Control to determine the USB port that the cutter is connected to, but usually it is USB port 1.

Thanks for that suggestion, but unfortunately the HPGL options didn't work. Omega has 3 different HPGL drivers - "HPGL_Simple", "HPGL_Smart", and "HPGL_Smart_PD". I tried all 3, but I got the same error message - "Cannot Open USB: for Spooling <jobname>". Omega allows you to select the USB device by giving a list of all connected USB devices, so I selected "Summa Cutter USB x64XP port 1 v7.0 = VID_099F,PID_0100". Is there somewhere on the cutter where HPGL needs enabled?

Winplot could work to allow us to cut plain vinyl jobs from the computer that the cutter is connected to. However, the reason we had the old cutter set up in Omega was to allow us to send jobs to the cutter from various other workstations through the Gerber Queue Manager installed on the cutter computer. Is there a way to set up WinPlot to behave the same way? I know there is a queue function in Summa Cutter Control, but I didn't see a way to set up WinPlot to send jobs to a file.

ChrisN

OK, just to follow up on this - I was able to successfully set up Composer & Onyx to send jobs to the cutter. Turns out that, contrary to what the manual states, the Summa OPOS CAM models can be connected over USB and Ethernet at the same time. So here is how I have the software set up:
  • Onyx - IP connection, port 9100 (not the default port that Onyx tries to use)
  • GSPPlot - Summa S160T driver - IP connection
  • Summa Cutter Control - USB connection
With this setup, we can send print & cut jobs with camera registration from Onyx, as well as plain cut vinyl jobs (no registration) from Omega Composer through GSPPlot.

Just a note on the GSPPlot driver - while I couldn't get anything to cut over USB using this driver, it works just fine over IP. :rolleyes: