• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

getting samples like pulling teeth?

tiredcreations

Anyone else have this problem?

I am new to solvent printing & would like to play around with some different medias before buying whole rolls.

I've seen a few people mention having samples of this or that or "using up a sample of this", I however, am not having such luck.

My usual suppliers have let me down, either not returning my phone calls, or pawning the responsibility onto someone else.

Hexis on the other hand was more than willing to help. Hate to pay/wait for shipping, but I might just have to start using them.

I guess this is what people call a "rant"... sorry.

joeshaul

I generally only get scraps when I go to my supplier and ask for a sample. If I need something I'll actually use and not just show to a customer and say "is this what you want", Iusually just go to the manufacturer. Think I've had one manufacturer send me to a supplier for samples, others have sent to me direct, but I needed to get ahold of the right person (IE: 3M Graphics Solutions Regional Rep or etc).

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Well to be honest Im a supply guy and getting samples is not always that easy and most companies will charge me for samples and most of the time sign shops are not willing to pay $20 for a sample roll. Some products have very little profit margin also, so to say that I can make up that $20 once you become a client is hard to do because I can get you a sample of a popular product and you like it but then just buy it from your local supplier because Im out of your territory so you can see the dilema supply people are in. Im only saying sometimes though because for the most part samples shouldnt be that difficult to get unless its a product like reflective vinyl or something really expensive. I like to send out printed samples and just deduct a few bucks off your first roll so I know your serious about buying the product. Just my 2 cents though from a suppliers point of view.

tiredcreations

I've called a few manufacturers & they told me to contact my supplier... I've called my supplier & they told me to contact the manufacturer:clapping:

Just want some wrap & banner samples, maybe some laminate. I'm not opposed to buying anything, it's just that when there's a bunch of different mils, finishes, etc., I'd like to try before I buy.

I'll get over it.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Well that one is simple, you should use 3M controltac 180C or Oracal 3951 Rapid air for your wrap material along with the corresponding laminates. Banner you should just pick up a roll from your local supplier and get it to print good. Everything else your probably gonna have to just buy a roll and start printing.

stickermonkey

I can get sample rolls (about 3 yards x 18") from my supplier for all Digital media they sell...IF it's in stock. And frankly...it's not enough to help you decide if its good or bad...so...my suggestion is do what I did...wait for an opportunity to bring something in when you have a project or extra time and money to fool around...and have fun. I print on poster paper, banner, wrap material, calendared vinyl, backlit material & a faux canvass type material.

Also...you have to consider this ...how often will you have the opportunity to print on some of the rarer material (poster paper or cavass), I get orders...but my printer is so busy with wrap material and calendared material all the time that I hate to stop the press for one of those jobs unless its a higher volume order. :)

Just have fun with it...and sell what works. 3M is always my first choice for wrap material and calandered.

Flame

I've called a few manufacturers & they told me to contact my supplier... I've called my supplier & they told me to contact the manufacturer:clapping:

Just want some wrap & banner samples, maybe some laminate. I'm not opposed to buying anything, it's just that when there's a bunch of different mils, finishes, etc., I'd like to try before I buy.

I'll get over it.

Often you gotta be a big boy to get free sample. Free samples to everyone who asks, can run you out of cashflow pretty quickly.

Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith and just try something.

Molenbeek

From a supplier point of view- I agree with BigFish. It costs alot of money and inventory to send out a sample roll.

That said- some of the specialty products do have small sample rolls, like 36" x 15' or so to try it out for $20-30.

Here are two manufacturer sample sites that you can go and get a few sample rolls of specific products to try.

http://www.ultraflexx.com/form/industry/sampleRequestForm.htm

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Graphics/Scotchprint/Prod-Info/RequestSamples/

Good luck

Matt

threeputt

I think your post might be more accurately titled, "getting free samples like pulling teeth".

Not much free in this ol' world. I think for the nominal sum of $25.00 each you can order short rolls of nearly all medias.

If you're not willing to throw 25 bucks at something to show your interest, it's hard to fault the vendor for his "lack of interest".

Just my take on things.

34Ford

I would like to find a small piece of 3M 7125-22 Matte Black just for comparison to whats already on my car.

You guys mention sample rolls, but all I need is what you could put in a #10 envelope.