• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Glad to be here

Firemap1

Just registered. An old geezer who found the sign industry too late. Basically the photo fondler/business adviser at work. Pass on most of what I learn to the youngsters (under 40) who can use it to improve their skills/craftsmanship.

geb

Hi Firemap1, glad to see you here. I'm also under 40, looking forward to any tips or advice you have on the industry.

George

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I'm over 40 :(
Does that make me an ol' geezer? Because I thought Bob had that distinction ;)
Welcome to Signs101, hoping to see some of your work and sharing.

Rick

Firemap1

Thanks for the welcome and a little clarification

Thanks all for the welcome.
A little clarification as to my comments.
At 64, anyone under 40 is a youngster to me.
I am in no way a true signman. I was asked a couple of years ago to load Photoshop on a computer at Gemini Signs. Then asked to them how to use it. They didn't have a clue to what was involved, or the time to learn/use the program.
"Gee, you want to work part time?"
"Sure, why not."
The rest is history.
I do all the Photoshop stuff and most of the vectorizing (Streamline 4) for the shop.
I knew I was totally ignorant as far as the Sign Trade was concerned. Didn't know a Substrate from a Prostate.
Proceeded to read every issue of every sign magazine going back about 15 years over the first three weeks I was there. Not at the shop, at home. Got on the web and found "Theletterheads", "Letterville", "4edgetalk", and anything else I could find.
It became obvious that there were many ways that the shop could do things differently and make more money.
They would spend two hours at the puter with the customer, design what was in fact a logo, not charge a design fee, and give the customer the artwork on a Zip Disc. Stop, Quit That, No More,
That's It!
Selling some 4x8's for $60-$70 less than actual time and materials costs.
Found an attic full of unclaimed signs. "Well, at least the deposit covered most of the cost."
"We only get deposits on the really big stuff." Stop, Quit That, No More, Thats It.
So that's how I added business advisor to my job discription.
I could go on, but you all have businesses to run.
As you can see from the above, I may not be able to contribute too much in regards to the hands on part of the sign business.
I will pop in if there is something that Ican help with.
Again, thanks for the welcome,
Bill "Irish" Holohan