• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Glass Adhere Contour Cutting

RWPrint

I have been trying to successfully print and cut a simple file at 48"w x 5"h, radius corners, on this Glass Adhere material. The cut seems to be off just a hair. Not sure if the material is slipping when it reads the cut marks...We are repeating 7 units and the cut is a little more off with each shape, like the material isn't forwarding enough to line up with the cut. I have slowed my Summa (S160 T series) way down, tried putting transfer tape on the metal of the Summa so the material would slide better (thought static was making it heavy), tried high and low pressure on the outside wheels, used a new knife, tried swearing and yelling, all to no avail.

Does anyone have any experience with print and cut on Glass Adhere? If so, how did you do it successfully? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've wasted an immense amount of material at this point and may have to sub this out if I can't come up with a solution!

Thanks in advance!

AKwrapguy

I have been trying to successfully print and cut a simple file at 48"w x 5"h, radius corners, on this Glass Adhere material. The cut seems to be off just a hair. Not sure if the material is slipping when it reads the cut marks...We are repeating 7 units and the cut is a little more off with each shape, like the material isn't forwarding enough to line up with the cut. I have slowed my Summa (S160 T series) way down, tried putting transfer tape on the metal of the Summa so the material would slide better (thought static was making it heavy), tried high and low pressure on the outside wheels, used a new knife, tried swearing and yelling, all to no avail.

Does anyone have any experience with print and cut on Glass Adhere? If so, how did you do it successfully? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've wasted an immense amount of material at this point and may have to sub this out if I can't come up with a solution!

Thanks in advance!

I've never heard of it before but what type of backing does the material have? Paper or plastic? If it's plastic you can try applying transfer tape to the back of it. This will allow the roller a little more grip on the bottom. I do this when printing and cutting DG.

RWPrint

I've never heard of it before but what type of backing does the material have? Paper or plastic? If it's plastic you can try applying transfer tape to the back of it. This will allow the roller a little more grip on the bottom. I do this when printing and cutting DG.

It is a plastic liner. We have cut 3M trans. with a plastic liner with great results. Perhaps this is a slicker plastic...

Dan360

I had the same problem on our 140. Not sure what the fix is since I didn't have time to mess with it for the job so I ended up using a different material. Have you tried slowing it down drastically? I find on thinner materials or ones subject to slipping, when it feeds the material back and forth it will move a bit more than the machine intended it to.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Haven't used it in a Summa, but I had no issues at all cutting it with a Mimaki plotter after printing on a Mutoh. I used the same settings I used for cutting PASK paint mask.

RWPrint

I had the same problem on our 140. Not sure what the fix is since I didn't have time to mess with it for the job so I ended up using a different material. Have you tried slowing it down drastically? I find on thinner materials or ones subject to slipping, when it feeds the material back and forth it will move a bit more than the machine intended it to.
Yes, reallllly slow. I'm going to try smaller cut files...

Shaun S

We generally cut Glass Adhere on the CNC in order to avoid this. Because of the micro-suction cups on the back, it definitely doesn't behave like normal vinyl. When this HAS to go on the Graphtec (similar to your Summa) we actually run it out of spec. We over extend the blade and turn the pressure way down to accommodate so you're not punching through the liner. The added length of the blade is what helps the cut...in my experience.

ams

I've printed a lot of Glass Adhere (now under a new name). Never tried to contour cut it. Try putting masking tape down the edges where the pinch rollers are and see if it grips better.

RWPrint

I've printed a lot of Glass Adhere (now under a new name). Never tried to contour cut it. Try putting masking tape down the edges where the pinch rollers are and see if it grips better.
That is a great idea. I'll try the tape, and check it out. Thank you!

RWPrint

We generally cut Glass Adhere on the CNC in order to avoid this. Because of the micro-suction cups on the back, it definitely doesn't behave like normal vinyl. When this HAS to go on the Graphtec (similar to your Summa) we actually run it out of spec. We over extend the blade and turn the pressure way down to accommodate so you're not punching through the liner. The added length of the blade is what helps the cut...in my experience.
I've got the cut pressure dialed in, the cuts just don't line up on the prints. Did you have skewing issues on the plotter with this material?