• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

gloss banner

mudmedia

Bare with me this might be a bit to read sorry.

I normally print on ultraflex jetflex 13oz matte banner material and it has been great for us.

Customer was in a pinch so I needed to last minute order a roll because I wasn't going to have enough to finish the job well fellers was out and only had gloss. Customer said gloss was ok so I ordered it up and loaded it in the machine.

Prints OK I am not a fan of gloss banner so I think the matte is way better print quality on it but here were the main issues that I struggled with:

-Banner material seemed a lot thinner on the gloss than the matte finish I checked all labels and they clarified that it indeed is 13oz gloss banner.

-I ran the same heat settings as the matte and it seemed to buckle the material a lot worse causing the head to strike in the middle of the roll. I lowered the heat settings and ended up with 40/40/50 degrees celcius on my heater settings.

Printed came in the next day cut them sewn them and rolling them up print side in the prints touched some how while rolling them up and you could hear a sticking noise like the inks were stuck together.

I then rolled it back and put it on the table to grommet and indeed where i hear the sticking noise of the inks "bonding" some of the black ink had been taken off.

I never have ran into an issue of ink not being dry after 14 hours of sitting heck let alone 30 minutes after the print I would always sew and grommet matte banners.

Should I change how long I wait to pull the banner off the machine for gloss finish? My heater setting is maxed on the post heater to try to initiate as much heat to dry the ink as possible before it gets rolled on the take up.

What are some banner procedures that some of you who print on gloss banner material use and suggest? I will be going back to matte and stocking PLENTY of it next time just curious so I am not wasting more 5'x20' banners.

Thanks in advance!

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
normally with glossy material, if there is heavy ink output onto the media, we would utilize the take-up reel to prevent any sticking. Sometimes, when we are too busy to setup a take-up reel, we would make sure the prints do not have any heavy ink surfaces touching each other and roll them a certain way by hand to allow the ink to settle after print. Also, make sure you do not have any weight sitting on top of the prints as this promotes the sticky issue you are having when left overnight.

We have two vj1204 that does all of our smaller prints and when we use our semi-gloss double sided blockout banner media, we would have this issue with darker prints. Sometimes we have a fan blowing softly aimed underneath the dryer to speed up the drying process too.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
normally with glossy material, if there is heavy ink output onto the media, we would utilize the take-up reel to prevent any sticking. Sometimes, when we are too busy to setup a take-up reel, we would make sure the prints do not have any heavy ink surfaces touching each other and roll them a certain way by hand to allow the ink to settle after print. Also, make sure you do not have any weight sitting on top of the prints as this promotes the sticky issue you are having when left overnight.

We have two vj1204 that does all of our smaller prints and when we use our semi-gloss double sided blockout banner media, we would have this issue with darker prints. Sometimes we have a fan blowing softly aimed underneath the dryer to speed up the drying process too.

So let me get this right, you are a supplier of print materials but you also compete against your customers because your a print shop also?? Man I guess the whole 3M mindset is catching on. :banghead:

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I have seen that alot with gloss banner compared to matte, if your using the same matte profile then it might be just a case of pulling back on your ink settings or better yet build a new profile for the glossy.

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
So let me get this right, you are a supplier of print materials but you also compete against your customers because your a print shop also?? Man I guess the whole 3M mindset is catching on. :banghead:

We mainly print on our blockout vinyl but we sell over 10 different types of printing media however comparing us to 3M is a bad analogy. We help our buyers in obtaining various medias at a competitive price and do not prevent our buyers from completing jobs like 3M. The only medias we print on is blockout vinyl, flags, and our in house backlit film everything else we just sell.

P.S. we were just trying to help a fellow Signs101 Member; not sure where this random outburst came from.

mudmedia

Thanks for the info...They are 20 ft banners so they definately were rolled up on the take up.

I used the canned ultraflex banner material in onyx it doesnt say gloss or matte but regardless I can try to pull the ink limits.

Thanks bigfish!