• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

glossy paper printing - keep glossiness intact

printitall

Hello all,
Hope to get some feedback on the latest issue we experienced.
Currently we're printing our customers' products on 70# litho sheet - works great. However, our customer wants to offer these products now with a gloss finish. We purchased glossy paper (recommended for uv flatbeds), looks great and was approved. However, once we start printing the paper's glossiness is literally gone/covered. Is there special paper or ink in order to maintain the glossiness of the paper? Or worst case do we need to run these sheets through a UV coater after printing.

Running Canon 2300 Series XTF; 400-600 units (20"x30") per day

Thanks for your comments/recommendations!

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
In order for UV ink to achieve gloss there are 2 ways as far as I know.

1.) Put a UV gloss coating over the top. Either a clear varnish or a UV coat.
2.) Allow the ink to "Flatten out" which will smooth the texture in order to achieve gloss. If you think of each ink droplet like a little Hershey's kiss, the tips of those droplets look matte if they are pinned in place with a quick UV cure. This makes like bounce every which way off that texture. If however, you allow them to flatten out a bit, your print will smooth (gloss) up. On a UV printer, you can typically do this by messing with the lamps. Either just a trailing, or just a leading lamp will give you a glossier result. You might have to experiment with it.

If you need help with overflow, we might be able to. PM me.

Good luck!

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I know canon took tech from the Arizona’s in order to give the Colorado the option between Matt and gloss. And that tech is a Matt finish so it’s very likely the Arizona series just has a Matt only finish.

Thinking as the Colorado has independent curing and print heads you can pin the dots later for the glossy finish. But with the curing head and the print head in the same place it might be harder to pin the dots later without a lot of screwing around!

Could you just buy some cheap glossy lam and put that on?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
The Arizona range has different ink sets depending what you're printing... IJ255 is their gloss UV made for paper stock, however I don't know anyone that uses it.
IJ256 is slightly more adhesive, and slight more matte. IJ257 is more adhesive again, around the same gloss level as 256. IJ258 is very matte, very sticky, and smaller gamut.