• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gold Medal Foil

paul luszcz

We have a job that would look best using Gerber Gold Medal foil.

It's going on a sculpture as an art installation (a 3D lobster actually) sponsored by the local Chamber of Commerce. They are planning to clear coat all the lobsters before installing them throughout town. I'll probably never get to know with what.

Gold Medal is designed for interior use. The question is:

Will it hold up for two years outdoors with a clear coat applied?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The Gerber product sheet IMPLIES that overlaminating with Gerber UV-Guard 1 mil Tedlar will add the durability you are seeking. Whether that will work for you or not is your call. I would guess that the clear coat will also work providing there is no chemical reaction with the gold medal foil. You should be able to determine this in an overnight test. I am attaching the Gerber product sheet.

Attachments

• PB- GerberColor Medal Foils.pdf
    398.6 KB · Views: 153

jfiscus

Rap Master
We use Silver Medal a lot on truck doors and it hols up long term, but we laminate with 3M 8519 laminate. I would assume a clear coat would do just fine also.

paul luszcz

Thanks. We checked and the clear is being done by a local body shop. We'll ask them what they're using, but I would bet it's a two part acrylic urethane.

If it tests okay we'll use that. If not, we have the Tedlar film Fred suggested and go with that.