• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gold

Colin

I feel like I should know this, but what would be the best option for longevity for a regular "gold" coloured vinyl? The hi-performance metallics (Avery) and their intermediate gold vinyl only have a 3 yr rating. I'd like to use the traditional gold colour as opposed to using the longer-lasting "Imitation Gold" which would be too yellow for this application.

Pat Whatley

The Avery Supercast 900 Metallics look really similar to regular gold vinyl. They've got a 7 year life span.

NEVERMIND....Gold only has a 3 year life. My bad.

HulkSmash

I've used Avery Supercast 900 on moving trucks that are used heavily daily. Did one 6 years ago... just now it's starting to fade the same color the truck is. Did one 2 years ago, still looks brand new

Colin

Thanks. This is going to be used on a couple of signs which will be in the full sun quite a bit. It will be placed on top of h/p Oracal black (for the outline).

Colin

I'm now looking at the Oracal chart and they don't downgrade the life-span of their golds in the 851 cast (10 yr) or their 651 cal (6 yr). They also keep their metallic gold (851M) at 7 yr. Maybe the 851 is the best option?

Edit: Dang, just realized that my Oracal chart is old. They do rate it at about 3 yr according to my dealer.

Colin

So what do y'all think about covering the Avery 900 Supercast Gold Metallic vinyl with a clear lam (print lam or Clear Shield)?

The print lam I have is LG 3810 which may have a UV block in it. (?)

Wiggum PI

that LG stuff is polymeric I believe, so I wouldn't use that, but clearshield or, I think the 900 series has a clear, or any cast O/L would be fine.

Colin

Thanks, ya, I think I'll hit it with Clear Shield. My only worry is that the CS would yellow or flake years down the road. Any experience with that?

Wiggum PI

not used it much except for banners, so not really, but going with a higher mix of water like 50/50 might be better. In a perfect world i'd probably go with an optically clear cast if you have some though.

Patentagosse

As a long time user of cast metallic films, I would suggest to go with 3M Scotchcal film or Oracal's premium cast for the film itself. To extend longevity, the very best stuff I use for my big rig clients is Premium Urethane Automotive Clearcoat. I've done tons of airbrushed graphics for vehicles since '95 and those still on the road are in very decent condition. Sure I did this by the time I was in the spray booth but you probably have a bodyshop in your neighborhood so maybe you can ask 'em to lay down a coat on your vinyl. Usually spray booth are about 20ft long so you can prepare few sheets of 24" x ???" knowing what lenght you need to cut your nested letters / graphics.

Just a regular coat is more than enough. You will easily double the durability

* before you ask, any brand can do the job as long as it's premium stuff (DuPont, PPG, Sherwin-William, Sikkens...)

** no special preparation needed. I always just wipe down vinyl with alcohol or PrepSol and spray but if you want to spend a li'l elbow grease, use 3M grey pad and wipe the dust off carefully.