• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Good Adwords Success

Shaun.x729

Hello Everyone,

Has any one put some real money into google adwords focusing on local search and your keywords?
Marketing companies suggest that for every dollar you spend you should have a 5 dollar return.

Sounds to go to be true. That suggests If I spend 1K I will get approximately 5 K in business.

i interested in hearing about any negative or positive stories.

thanks so much

CanuckSigns

I have run 2-3 campaigns from Adwords, none of them have resulted in any business increase. Now granted I didn't spend a ton of money, probably only $500-$800 in total, but I consider it to be a complete waste of money. It may work better for you if you have an e-commerce site where people can impulse buy your products, but for the average sign shop I don't think it will work well.

Thank about it, when you do a google search, do you ever click on the top 2-3 results that are placed there by adwords? I'm pretty sure I never have.

I would focus your efforts on organic results, we just recently updated one of our websites and focused on organic SEO, as a result we now rank extermly high on google for once particular niche product we sell, as a result I get 5-10 email inquiries from our website a day on just that product alone.

Shaun.x729

I have run 2-3 campaigns from Adwords, none of them have resulted in any business increase. Now granted I didn't spend a ton of money, probably only $500-$800 in total, but I consider it to be a complete waste of money. It may work better for you if you have an e-commerce site where people can impulse buy your products, but for the average sign shop I don't think it will work well.

Thank about it, when you do a google search, do you ever click on the top 2-3 results that are placed there by adwords? I'm pretty sure I never have.

I would focus your efforts on organic results, we just recently updated one of our websites and focused on organic SEO, as a result we now rank extermly high on google for once particular niche product we sell, as a result I get 5-10 email inquiries from our website a day on just that product alone.

This is super valuable. Thank you. I am currently working on my website seo. My goal is to drive inbound leads. I am currently grinding away at the outbound approach. I get about 10 inbound leads a month from referrals and my website I tend to get high paying jobs this way, but still.

What has been your SEO strategy if you dont mind me asking?

painperdu

How did you manage to spend $500-$800 if no one clicked on your ads? Were you only running display ads?

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
Hello Everyone,

Has any one put some real money into google adwords focusing on local search and your keywords?
Marketing companies suggest that for every dollar you spend you should have a 5 dollar return.

Sounds to go to be true. That suggests If I spend 1K I will get approximately 5 K in business.

i interested in hearing about any negative or positive stories.

thanks so much

We are a tradeshow, exhibit and display company with a national focus on clients. In 2015 we spun off our graphics department into its own division and marketed it locally to Atlanta to keep the graphics department busy during our slow times in the summer and winter to keep us busy. We went to web.com and had them create a leads site and utilize google adwords additionally.

We had a $2000 budget each month. Over 8 months, we may have generated $2500 in revenue. Depending on the day/time, we would show up in the top 3-5 google results for the adwords we focused on, ahead of the franchises and companies that I knew had a big presence in our market for the products we were offering. 85% of the calls were tire-kickers, clients that had no idea what they needed, and clients that were out of our service area.

It was poorly executed... We bear some responsibility in that because we focused on the entire Atlanta area, which is waaaay too big. We would get calls from 100+ miles away for small jobs. We should have figured out a way to focus more locally. Couple all of this with a bad choice for a salesperson and we ceased marketing our "Graphics Division" 8 months into the endeavor.

I do believe that adwords can work. We are rebuilding our corporate website currently with a local web/marketing company that is optimizing the site to comply with recent google ranking changes that will help drive more traffic to the site. It's expensive and smaller companies probably would struggle with the budget needed to really drive the results needed to get the number of QUALIFIED leads the justify the costs. Regardless, it's going to be a numbers game. I am sure that there will be many more UN-Qualified leads coming in from the web overall.

My advice would be to try Facebook first and see how that works for local business generation. I don't know what the market looks like in Vancouver but I would take some time and research how your competition is marketing themselves... Google, Facebook, or word of mouth. If they have a large presence on google, they are either spending a lot of money on Adwords, or they have been able to generate enough organic searches that push them higher in the search rankings. If they are active on Facebook, have lots of "Friends" and reviews and you know them to be doing a good amount of business, that may be an indicator of what they are doing to market themselves.

I left out google reviews in this discussion, but I have found myself relying more on those myself although I will still do my own research rather than rely solely on the recommendation of the reviews. I took a quick look at Yelp regarding sign companies and while there are a few reviews, its nothing like other local businesses and restaurants.

Sorry for such a long reply... I just think that a lot of thought and consideration needs to go into your decision to throw $$$ into the cloud for Adwords. What comes back down to you may not be what's expected.... Regardless- Good Luck to you!

upload_2017-4-12_8-40-43.png

Bly

I think a lot depends on how effective your website is at converting those visitors to customers.
We get a fair few organic hits but few new customers so are looking at polishing the website & making it more effective.

painperdu

Your ads and website must be relevant to a customers true intent and this intent must be true to your specific business goal. Do you want a visitor to fill out a form, call your office, or just browse your portfolio? Is your ad trying to attract someone specifically looking to fill out a contact form, call your office, or to view your portfolio? AdWords search marketing is geared for very specific and relevant traffic. People using it have a very specific intent in mind. If their intent matches up with your intent then a conversion is very likely. If not, then a conversion is highly unlikely and money and effort will be lost.

equippaint

I don't believe that it works at all no matter what you do. The ROI is not there when compared to other advertising methods. We wasted a bunch of money on it for a very niche product and niche market we have for a separate business. It drove some traffic to our site but never turned into anything, no calls or email contacts, just burned up $$$. The traffic we saw on the site also never matched the clicks we were charged for, wed get charged for like 75 clicks and see 50 visitors. On the flip side, every time we did anything else whether it be direct mail, email blitz, and even ads on craigslist we got big response. So it got to the point that I honestly started to not even trust it.
Wed setup our keywords, bid over suggested to be on the top and the next day half of our keywords would be doubled in price. They were off beat ones too, not like a plumbing service where there's a million people running campaigns. Towards the end Id end a campaign, then re-do it and guess what, those keywords that price was way up would magically be low again, like google was the one bidding you up. Id search to see what companies would come up after the rates went up and they were non relevant national crap, the same as before the increase. After some time with it, reading a lot and tweaking the ads like all the gurus say to do, we quit. I trust it even less now and would never do it again. Google is not transparent with their methods and I'm convinced its a money grab