• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Good color management!

rfulford

Does anyone have a suggestion for a spectrophotometer? I'm running Onyx and the Epson GS6000.

An Eye One Pro is a solid choice. I would get a unit with out the built in UV Cut filter for use with Onyx. You can upgrade it to an Eye-One IO if you want automation. Believe me, eventually you will want to automate your readings. If you have money to burn, look at the barbieri LFP. It is pretty much the top of the line these days.

signswi

As a heads up Onyx x10 added support for black point compensation, as well as support for 16-bit processing which is also pertinent to this conversation.

Custom_Grafx

I'm about to buy an i1 extreme and have been asked if I want the UV cut version or not. I totally have no idea which one so I asked what the difference was. I have also been searching all day on line for stuff but it's hard to find info on this topic. All I know, is that UV cut is required if there are brighteners in the stock. I print roland eco-sol on polymeric white vinyl most of the time. Any help would be appreciated thank you in advance!

bbeens

I have heard arguments for both. Some people think the UV cut should happen on the software side other say hardware is the way to go. Check if the profiling software can do the UV cut, some do some don't.

As for whether your media does contain optical brighteners, I believe a black light will cause these optical brighteners to 'glow'. I have never performed this test personally.

When profiling I tend to use our devices with UV filters more than our devices without.

Bryan

Custom_Grafx

Thanks so much for your replies guys. I'm using VersaWorks 4. I've looked everywhere and can't see any settings for UV compensation. Is this correct? Does this mean I should go with the UV cut version?

Thanks again,
John

I have heard arguments for both. Some people think the UV cut should happen on the software side other say hardware is the way to go. Check if the profiling software can do the UV cut, some do some don't.

As for whether your media does contain optical brighteners, I believe a black light will cause these optical brighteners to 'glow'. I have never performed this test personally.

When profiling I tend to use our devices with UV filters more than our devices without.

Bryan

Andy_warp

I think alot of these problems come from designers using Pantone colors, which are really a special mix of pigments and not made up of cmyk.

Jim

We've been having really good luck with a spot color workflow through Onyx.
The profiling in the new version is great, but you do have to have a basic understanding of color mgmt.

The flexibility you have at the rip with spot color tools is great for finicky vector files that are effect heavy.
We've found that converting to cmyk from spots can throw tints and such for a loop.
I'd say the key to any useful color management is having some kind of process control in place first.
The trick is getting everything to a point that can be reproduced everytime.
A spectro and x-rite software isn't going to magically solve all of your problems.

We did a job for pepsi with over thirty spot colors in it!
Our profile saved us probably three shifts worth of color correcting.

We run grand format fabric, it's a little tought to replicate the process for a proof.
I suggest creating custom profiles to anyone...

chillGMS

We've been having really good luck with a spot color workflow through Onyx.
The profiling in the new version is great, but you do have to have a basic understanding of color mgmt.

The flexibility you have at the rip with spot color tools is great for finicky vector files that are effect heavy.
We've found that converting to cmyk from spots can throw tints and such for a loop.
I'd say the key to any useful color management is having some kind of process control in place first.
The trick is getting everything to a point that can be reproduced everytime.
A spectro and x-rite software isn't going to magically solve all of your problems.

We did a job for pepsi with over thirty spot colors in it!
Our profile saved us probably three shifts worth of color correcting.

We run grand format fabric, it's a little tought to replicate the process for a proof.
I suggest creating custom profiles to anyone...

I agree as to understanding color management is very important.

Equally important is the expectation that is put on the accuracy of the color. Is it a Delta-E value or something far more subjective?

4-Color type process printers can match many spot colors very accurately, but can't come close to the cleaner colors in the spectrum.

It really comes back down to the basics of what is achievable within a given color system, once you have a good understanding of that, it's purely mechanical.

adendo

Merchant Member
You may also want to check out adendo.com. We have color management experts that can do one-on-one training to help you get the best color possible out of whatever printer and RIP your using.

lmsmiletou22

That was fantastic and thank you.
Happy new year and good luck to you all in 2022.
Start my work and good luck to myself.
And a few hours ago I choosed a useful tool to help my printing work better and faster - Uccsoft Smart Vizor variable data printing software.
Wish to share with each other more digital printing technologies and tools.