• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Good color management!

GARY CULY

yes thanks checkers ..and by the way everone needs to stop by checkers web site and see the great work they do there .....by far way better than needed ....great work there checkers .[bowing down] hail the checkers!

jdigital

To achieve consistent color on our printers, we archive our printed files on our server. This way if we need to print the same file on a later date all we have to do is transfer the file back to our printer. No need to re-rip. this is especially helpful because we are running 3 shifts and someone might not know how to properly set up the file.

ast

Hi! I've looking at the x-rite website, but don't know which of their product we should get to color manage our setup, these are the thing we want to achieve:

1.) calibrate our monitor to look 'the same' on our print outs.
2.) create ICC profiles for each of our media, so that no excess ink usage to attain desired color.

we are using photoprint5 with kodak1200i's. we also have onyx 6 & onyx 6.5

TIA!

Prism

Is Poster shop better than the standard RIP that comes with Versaworks which is Rolands rip?
I know there is no magic bullet for color management but if I can get a start on it with good programs than get a spectrophotometer in the near future than that will help.
Unless you think just getting a meter and keeping the Versa works?
Would you go out and buy it again if you had too?

Thanks,
prism

Is use Onyx and like it. I don't think it matters much. The most important part is to use a spectrophotometer.

Is Poster shop better than the standard RIP that comes with Versaworks which is Rolands rip?
I know there is no magic bullet for color management but if I can get a start on it with good programs than get a spectrophotometer in the near future than that will help.
Unless you think just getting a meter and keeping the Versa works?
Would you go out and buy it again if you had too?

Thanks,
prism

In my opinion, Versaworks is a very full-featured RIP which is very competitive with products from other RIP developers. It allows for ICC-based color management, Spot Color Replacement, Variable Data printing, and other functions typically associated with a full-blown RIP.

With respect to profile creation, it is similar in general approach to Wasatch's SoftRip, in that it can perform all necessary functions with the exception to the creation of the ICC component. This needs to be built in another application (Monaco, Gretag, DataColor, etc).

Prism

OK, thanks for the info.
I think I will buy a meter in the future first and go from there if I need to.
Thanks again,

Checkers

When I was printing in-house, I used Onyx 7.0 (I think) and found it relatively easy to use. I also got pretty darn good colors without using a color spectrophotometer or building custom media profiles either.

Knowing some about color management and how to use the right profiles was critical to my success though.

I never used any other RIP so, I can't make comparisons.

Checkers

DGDesigns

I just attended a professional photographers workshop and the host, Scott Kelby, highly recommended the X-rite i1 display 2 for monitor color calibration. It's only $200. Calibrate the monitor every month.

Bly

To achieve consistent color on our printers, we archive our printed files on our server. This way if we need to print the same file on a later date all we have to do is transfer the file back to our printer. No need to re-rip. this is especially helpful because we are running 3 shifts and someone might not know how to properly set up the file.

That's only gunna work if nothing changes in your print environment - temp, humidity, print head wear, media coatings..
For consistency you ought to re leinearise and rip the file again.

GK

I just attended a professional photographers workshop and the host, Scott Kelby, highly recommended the X-rite i1 display 2 for monitor color calibration. It's only $200. Calibrate the monitor every month.

Calibrating the monitor is useless if your input and output devices are not properly calibrated as well. Not trying to pick an argument but I have seen this in every Photoshop/NAPP event I have attended where they briefly touch a subject, push a product for a quick sale and leave it at that. With that being said, the i1Display2 is a great product, very well built, easy to operate and calibrate your monitor but thats all. You still will need to calibrate your scanners, cameras, printers to achieve any sort of true color management in your workflow. The i1Basic would probably be the best $1000 (you can get it less that that now) you can spend regarding color management. However --- not all devices play nicely. Scanners for example. There are a reason they sell $50 off the shelf scanners, $700 Epson V750-M Pro and $20,000 Hasselblad Flextight X5 drum scanners. Then there is the software with your scanner...and aftermarket scanner software like Silverfast which allows for even greater control of color management.

I guess what I am trying to say is the monitor calibration is a good start, but a good start at best. Kelby is certainly a master of his craft, but he is also an excellent salesman as well...:rolleyes:...