• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Good small format decal / label printer?

milchad

The application would be small decals / labels on items like cups and mugs. Up to this point, cut vinyl is the only method being used. What are some good small format (20" or less) printers that can print on vinyl or possibly coated vinyl? Also, what small laminators are good for doing this type of work? I work with grand format printers and this area is new to me.

Thanks!

milchad

If you're looking for simple 1-3 color labels and decals, check out Gerber's Edge and corresponding plotters (HS15+, Envision...).

You won't need to laminate and printing with spot colors is awesome, especially the metallic, white, and medal(chrome) foils.

If you're looking for good full color (CMYK) prints this wouldn't be ideal however. Labels are usually printed at a very high resolution and the Edge printers won't produce acceptable results in comparison to traditional full color label printers.

We've got an Edge2 and 2 gerber plotters so if you have any questions let me know.

Thanks for the reply, I will check those out. Does anybody have any input on a 4 color printer that would be good for this application?

Thanks!

particleman

The Mimaki CVJ30-60 is a great machine , print and cut in one and built on proven technology. A friend has one and it is a very nice machine. He actually purchased a 24" ebay laminator, no bells and whistles, just two rollers and a foot pedal and it has worked well for over 2 years.

Before he purchased it we investigated this http://www.rolanddga.com/products/printcut/bn/ at a print show. While it appears to fit what you are asking, I would not recommend this machine, it prints so slow I'm not sure how anyone can make money on it.

The edge system is also really good, especially if you are doing large jobs.