• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Google to start charging companies for listings

ThinkRight

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/fa18bce4-ab67-11e1-a2ed-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz1wdWn7ID2

Google is to start charging companies for listing their products in a core part of its search service, the first time it has converted a free section of its giant online index into a purely commercial venture.
The change to Google Product Search will mean that many merchants that have relied on the search engine to lure potential customers online will face higher costs, according to analysts.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/fa18bce4-ab67-11e1-a2ed-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1wdEW4Ioc
Any opinions ?
So they are taking add revenue "AND" charging people to have a web site if they get searched.
It is like the phone book now

CanuckSigns

if they start charging companies to list their products in search results, people will start using other search engines, i know i wouldn't use google if i knew it only displayed results from companies that paid.

bois323

They've saying that for the last 8 years now, Never Gonna Happen. It goes against all that google has been working for in providing quality search result.

Google has spent millions on algorithms for it search engine. That is why it always offers the best result possible. They're not about to risk losing the credibility they worked so hard to get.

The article link in your thread is just another version of a rehashed article I must of read about 10 times now.

2B

if they charge a new search engine with arise that will be free.

sounds like a ploy to get websites to keep their SEO current and not let things become outdated

jasonx

Bing is increasing its market share as marketers as well as users move over to it. Lately Google has made algorithm changes which are throwing up a myriad of results. Some of the results include stuff from 2006 which isn't really relevant you would think. Unless the search revolved around history per se.

CES020

It's not saying they are going to charge for the normal search, it's saying they are going to charge to list in the "google shopping" (now called Product Search) side of things. That's not speculation, that's the truth, it's coming right from google, not people making stories up.

They are complaining that it's too easy for people to abuse the listings, so by having people pay to list, it'll make people's listings more accurate, which will give better search results for products.

I don't think it impacts 99% of the people on this forum. I don't know many sign companies that are using google product search (google shopping) to run their business.

ThinkRight

It's not saying they are going to charge for the normal search, it's saying they are going to charge to list in the "google shopping" (now called Product Search) side of things. That's not speculation, that's the truth, it's coming right from google, not people making stories up.

They are complaining that it's too easy for people to abuse the listings, so by having people pay to list, it'll make people's listings more accurate, which will give better search results for products.

I don't think it impacts 99% of the people on this forum. I don't know many sign companies that are using google product search (google shopping) to run their business.

I mentioned that it was like a phone book now.
Taking money for people to get listed ...and taking money from advertisers.
The way i am seeing this playing out is when joe public searches for Banners, signs , anything else , if you are not paying google your shop will not come up in a search.
Google search / Google Shopping are one in the same.
Google Search will send people to Google Shopping.
And if you don't believe that , you are too nieve .

signswi

Dead on. It is an interesting shift in their business but it's not too applicable to the sign industry.

signswi

The way i am seeing this playing out is when joe public searches for Banners, signs , anything else , if you are not paying google your shop will not come up in a search.

You're confusing product search with general search. Try not to Chicken Little without knowing which sky you're standing under. :thumb:

Google already takes money to get listed in normal search too, btw, it's called adwords.

CES020

So you are currently selling products, finished products, in google shopping? If I search for digital printing and hit the "Shopping" button, I'll see products listed for sale from you, in the google shopping, listed next to Amazon, Best Buy, and all the likes of them?