• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grain direction on plastic sheet stock

gnubler

I'm working on a building directory with nameplates made with 1/16" plastic sheet stock, brushed silver over black. This material is generally used for engraving. I need to create 30" wide plaques with the brushed silver running horizontally to match the ones already on there. I can get 24x49" sheets from my supplier, but the grain direction (the brushed look) runs along the 24" length. JDS Sign Supply.

Does anyone know where I can find sheets large enough to cut 30" pieces with the grain running horiztonally?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Rowmark has 1/16" brushed silver over black and the grain runs in the 49" direction. You would have a bunch of waste though as unfortunately they only sell in quarter, half and full sheets so you would have to buy a full sheet to get a 30" piece with the grain going in the right direction. Or ask for a 3/4 sheet and cut the 6" off.

Last edited:

Z SIGNS

I know this is not the answer your looking for but just buy the full sheet. You will have a lot left over for the next time this kind of job comes up.
In my shop the price of sign is based on what the full sheet, full roll etc. cost.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I know this is not the answer your looking for but just buy the full sheet. You will have a lot left over for the next time this kind of job comes up.
In my shop the price of sign is based on what the full sheet, full roll etc. cost.
We have a winner in aisle #1.

JB

gnubler

Thanks for quick replies. I was already planning on buying a full sheet and just stocking the leftover, like ZSigns said.

Took a look at the Rowmark site. How do you know which direction the grain runs on the brushed finishes - you've ordered from them? I didn't see mention of it in product specs.

Z SIGNS

Thanks for quick replies. I was already planning on buying a full sheet and just stocking the leftover, like ZSigns said.

Took a look at the Rowmark site. How do you know which direction the grain runs on the brushed finishes - you've ordered from them? I didn't see mention of it in product specs.
As a bonus you are going to feel real good when that next order for that same million dollar sheet you paid for comes in.
You will look over to your offcut rack go cha ching and smile.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide

I personally know that any of the 522, 922, and LM922 series sheets will have the grain going long ways as we sell them locally. Your best bet is probably ordering from https://www.jpplus.com which is Rowmark's direct sales site.

gnubler

As a bonus you are going to feel real good when that next order for that same million dollar sheet you paid for comes in.
You will look over to your offcut rack go cha ching and smile.
I hear you. My shop helper gives me grief for "hoarding" because I keep a box of small scrap pieces and odd size leftovers, but they do get used. It'll be good to have a variety of materials in my hoard as odd jobs arise.

Thanks, Solvent. I'll check out that other site.

gnubler

I personally know that any of the 522, 922, and LM922 series sheets will have the grain going long ways as we sell them locally. Your best bet is probably ordering from https://www.jpplus.com which is Rowmark's direct sales site.
Thanks for the link, I just placed an order with Johnson Plastic for the sheet stock and scored a round corner cutter that was in their clearance section.