• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grainy prints after new head installed. ( Mimaki cjv150 )

Shawnclift

Just a little update before I completely throw in the towel, haha . So the head height is perfectly 1.8mm which is great, And I've managed to align the head, and I'm getting better printing results, but still grainy and my reds are just pooling up for some bizarre reason. I've even lowered the magenta and yellow to -50, but still they pool. So ink control isn't happening that great. I've tried several rolls of media and all displaying the same, and the printer was printing great on these a while ago.
untitled.JPG 332163538_2577136405773531_9200090976493207296_n.jpg

Shawnclift

I'm back !
I just had to drop in and shout a huge thank you to all of you amazing folks who helped me out! With your input, I was able to sort out my printing issues and let me tell you, what a journey it was! I learned how to change a print head and dampers, calibrate everything, and although it was super stressful, I am so glad I did it!

But wait, it gets even better! The old profile didn't work with the new head, but I didn't give up! I went ahead and calibrated the profile myself, and now my prints are nothing short of AMAZING! Sure, it adds an extra five minutes to a job, but trust me when I say that the quality is well worth it.

So once again, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, to all the wonderful souls who took the time to help me out. I couldn't have done it without you!

332163538_2577136405773531_9200090976493207296_n.jpg untitled.JPG

DGreenwood

I'm back !
I just had to drop in and shout a huge thank you to all of you amazing folks who helped me out! With your input, I was able to sort out my printing issues and let me tell you, what a journey it was! I learned how to change a print head and dampers, calibrate everything, and although it was super stressful, I am so glad I did it!

But wait, it gets even better! The old profile didn't work with the new head, but I didn't give up! I went ahead and calibrated the profile myself, and now my prints are nothing short of AMAZING! Sure, it adds an extra five minutes to a job, but trust me when I say that the quality is well worth it.

So once again, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, to all the wonderful souls who took the time to help me out. I couldn't have done it without you!

View attachment 164221 View attachment 164222
I have the exact same machine as you and have the same issue. Please tell me how you fixed this! Much appreciated!

Shawnclift

I have the exact same machine as you and have the same issue. Please tell me how you fixed this! Much appreciated!
Hey

What happened to us was the new head and profile just didn't match, so we had to find/make a new one. If this is the same issue, go Uni-direction and 32 passes and give it time to dry inbetween, so add a scan time of 2 seconds, and essentially work off of that as a starting point.

Our ink just wasn't curing and was laying down way too much .

V. V.

Inkjet printing guru
Hey

What happened to us was the new head and profile just didn't match, so we had to find/make a new one. If this is the same issue, go Uni-direction and 32 passes and give it time to dry inbetween, so add a scan time of 2 seconds, and essentially work off of that as a starting point.

That's so weird TBH. That shouldn't be the case at all.
Didn't you forget (althou it doesn't bring that big drama here usually) to input new Head rank code which sets correct head voltage?
Second thing is where did you get that head from? Was it oficial MImaki dealer od some aliexpress kind of trader?

Shawnclift

That's so weird TBH. That shouldn't be the case at all.
Didn't you forget (althou it doesn't bring that big drama here usually) to input new Head rank code which sets correct head voltage?
Second thing is where did you get that head from? Was it oficial MImaki dealer od some aliexpress kind of trader?
You're the first one to ever mention voltage and a head rank code?

DGreenwood

Hey

Okay thanks. We had a new head installed by mimaki due to getting a overspray, we had this grainy issue on the previous head as well though.

I've been experimenting with profiles, specifically the v3.5sp ones (made to reduce graininess) I've been using the Arlon DPF 510GT v3.5sp with success, nice solid prints with bidirectional printing- just not the deepest blacks. I also tried Mimaki GPVC SPC 707v3.5sp which was fantastic, super deep blacks with solid prints.. it was just very ink dense.

One thing I noticed with both profiles was the temps it recommended, a lot higher than I usually print at. Was recommended 35,35.45 by Mimaki tech but these profiles are like 50,50,50 which seems way to high to me but it seems to be working so maybe that's where my issues were?

I will look into making my own profile to really dial it in.

Shawnclift

Okay thanks. We had a new head installed by mimaki due to getting a overspray, we had this grainy issue on the previous head as well though.

I've been experimenting with profiles, specifically the v3.5sp ones (made to reduce graininess) I've been using the Arlon DPF 510GT v3.5sp with success, nice solid prints with bidirectional printing- just not the deepest blacks. I also tried Mimaki GPVC SPC 707v3.5sp which was fantastic, super deep blacks with solid prints.. it was just very ink dense.

One thing I noticed with both profiles was the temps it recommended, a lot higher than I usually print at. Was recommended 35,35.45 by Mimaki tech but these profiles are like 50,50,50 which seems way to high to me but it seems to be working so maybe that's where my issues were?

I will look into making my own profile to really dial it in.
Essentially that's what we found as well, although we had to dial the heat back as the media was becoming way too wavy under the heat and was just going to head strike, so had to settle on 30,35,45 and add a scan pause just to give it time for that pass to dry. It added like 10 mins to a job, but it is honestly the best quality we've ever had from this machine compared to an original Mimaki head and saved us overall 3k.