• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Graphics card a must for new workstations?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I'm getting a new IT company to put together some pricing to upgrade some computers and our network etc and they're asking if we need a graphics card on the one computer we're replacing.

Main use will be for Composer/outputting to Gerber equipment, maybe some light Corel (vector) use and accounting etc.

No photoshop or big file/graphic handling whatsoever.

Is it worth getting graphics card for a computer like this? I'm assuming this will add a couple hundred to the build.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Someone who uses computers every day for 10+ hours but still doesn't know much about them.

ikarasu

Graphics cards only help if you're doing a lot of Photoshop / video editing. It may allow you to open a graphic intensive file for composer a bit faster.... But not worth the price.

We only have graphics cards in our artist machines, the rest are all integrated... Good enough!

Signscorp

I'd recommend buying computers off the shelf instead of having them custom built. IT people love to custom build, but it's more expensive, and everytime one of the components updates it puts the computer at risk of breaking.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Thanks for the quick answers! They said they'll give me a price and if it makes sense to go that route we will. I think they said they deal with Dell so I should be able to price check pretty easily.

In the past we've had a local computer place build our workstations and they've always worked out well, so we might just go that route if IT company is too expensive.