• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec 8600 with Onyx Cut Server 12.2 Alignment issues

Chase

New Printers for Christmas!
Hello,

I'm having repeated issues with alignment of the cut vectors and the prints. The graphtec alignment test is good.

Any help on solving this would be appreciated.

IMG_7008.jpg

Second Test with a different print and cut file and its off the same amount.

64495193992__9886C277-5FAC-4256-83DF-31A7DDB298BD.JPG
IMG_2865.JPG

depps74

I agree turn the marks inward, make sure the material is in their straight too. I also set my marks to 1" margins. Whenever I go lower I get misalignment issues like your having.

ikarasu

is it facing the correct direction when you load it into the graphtec? been there, done that
If you print with barcodes on... The end of the barcode will have a f and a b. F stands for front... B for back.

I used onyx cut server for years and never knew that and always played the "this looks right" game.... Until one day I had nothing to do so I was reading the onyx manual.... Pointed it out to the other operator who also didn't know and he was dumbfounded. He ruined so many prints by putting it in backwards...

Something so simple that they don't seem to point out unless you're reading a dumb manual!

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Our 8600 uses T(op) & B(ottom), although it was bin day yesterday so I don't have any prints to verify this with lol.

Looks like it might have changed this on the 9000 to F & B.

Last edited:

zillion29

We had ONYX 11 for many years and recently upgraded to 21. Almost all of our WTF cursed cutting issues with our 8600 went away overnight. I will say that if you gang up a bunch of cut jobs and use the "conserve media" option, the potential for wackiness seems to go up exponentially.

If you print with barcodes on... The end of the barcode will have a f and a b. F stands for front... B for back.

I used onyx cut server for years and never knew that and always played the "this looks right" game.... Until one day I had nothing to do so I was reading the onyx manual.... Pointed it out to the other operator who also didn't know and he was dumbfounded. He ruined so many prints by putting it in backwards...

Something so simple that they don't seem to point out unless you're reading a dumb manual!
We have ours set up with an arrow facing forward and if by dumb chance I load it upside down, it usually doesn't register and it will chirp at you. I usually watch it once it launches to make sure everything is behaving, especially the catch basket. I hate it when your print buckles and everything goes south, no bueno.

Chase

Here are the updates with using Crop Marks #2.

I'm aligning the crop marks with the black Teflon to ensure the material is as straight as possible.

IMG_7138.JPG

Only way I can adjust the cut location I have found is using the Axis Origin Offset but this is looking to be not the way to fix this or am I wrong?

On one test I was able to get it to line up perfectly but when it started cutting all the circles across the vinyl it began to get off.

IMG_7137.JPG

I can see how off it is. Is your cut layer on your artwork file, the exact same dimension and position as your art layer? There isn't any way that your cut file is inverted or mirrored on the cut server is it? Also, are your pinch rollers on the tightest setting and you are using all of the pinch rollers (you mentioned that it slowly drifted)

Chase

I did several tests with 180º and it was still way off from the marks.
I also double checked the cut line vectors and those are spot on with the kiss cut inside the art and the cut through at the edge of the red.
I also have tried a file of one sticker and multiplied 18 times in Onyx 12 Poster Shop print and cut VS 1 file of 18 stickers printed and cut same issues on both.

Here is an update from this morning using the axis origin offsets in the graphtec menus.

As it cuts the first few stickers on the right of the graphtec it looks pretty good. But as it cuts across the 54" sheet the cut lines get .04" off from center on the left side of the graphtec. The sticker size is 2.7" and 18 stickers across.

IMG_7151.JPG

IMG_7150.JPG

Sometimes I will set up a row in my layout program of whatever I can max fit to the width of my material. Then duplicate it in Onyx. Maybe when you are duplicating a single file in onyx, there is a default set for the space between each duplication that is causing it to gain in width.

So if you turn on weed border, does it hit the reg marks like it's supposed to? I hated trying to get onyx and the graphtec to work together back when we had 10.2 I switched to cutting master 2 and just make my marks and export them with the print. You have the headache of verifying which way its supposed to be turned, but 50% of the time, it works every ti

I did several tests with 180º and it was still way off from the marks.
I also double checked the cut line vectors and those are spot on with the kiss cut inside the art and the cut through at the edge of the red.
I also have tried a file of one sticker and multiplied 18 times in Onyx 12 Poster Shop print and cut VS 1 file of 18 stickers printed and cut same issues on both.

Here is an update from this morning using the axis origin offsets in the graphtec menus.

As it cuts the first few stickers on the right of the graphtec it looks pretty good. But as it cuts across the 54" sheet the cut lines get .04" off from center on the left side of the graphtec. The sticker size is 2.7" and 18 stickers across.

View attachment 155606

View attachment 155607
Hey guess what? Yesterday I loaded some laminated reflective vinyl stickers into the graphtec and my cut was a bit off. I discovered that setting the pinch rollers on the tightest setting was actually hindering the movement and throwing my cut off. After I set it to the "lighter tension", it cut as it was suppose to. BTW, I'm using Cutmaster 4 w/ Onyx 19

Chase

Good idea on the pinch rollers I have them set on the lightest setting. I was seeing marks on the vinyl on the other settings.

I have Cuttings Master 4 I'll learn more on it and see how I can utilize it. First off i tried improrting the cut file generated by Poster shop into Cutting Master and no go.

I'm guessing you're using Illustrator and the plugin for CM and then saving out that file printing it and then cutting it?

Good idea on the pinch rollers I have them set on the lightest setting. I was seeing marks on the vinyl on the other settings.

I have Cuttings Master 4 I'll learn more on it and see how I can utilize it. First off i tried improrting the cut file generated by Poster shop into Cutting Master and no go.

I'm guessing you're using Illustrator and the plugin for CM and then saving out that file printing it and then cutting it?
We use both Corel Draw and Illustrator for our art files. We designate a spot color to be the cut path (100% cyan as a spot color). When we set up the art file I add a separate layer as the cut path and export both art layer and cut layer together as a PDF. After I've print, it I use the CutServer in Onyx to launch cutmaster, works like a charm.