• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec FC9000-160. No take up roller. How to minimise damage to long cut

jagku

Hi,

We have this machine and need to cut some long sheets (about 3m long).
Are there any tricks that people do when handling long sheets to prevent them from getting damaged when they hit and are rolling up in the basket?

Thanks for any tips in advance!

DChorbowski

Pixel Pusher
I have the same machine and we regularly cut 48" material 20-30ft in length with no issues. It should just lightly fold over itself in the basket. If you hare having trouble with it creasing and and not folding over nicely and lightly with its own weight, you can try slowing the machine down to 15 or 20. Also be sure your cutting depth is not too deep where it allows the vinyl backing to crease easily where the vinyl has been cut. Another thing to consider is your cutting order.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
3m.. let it fold in the basket.

Same with Victor, i've cut whole rolls and let it fold in the basket before having some sort of take up unit.

jagku

Agree with czar above. Sometimes I tend it while cutting to ensure it folds over nicely. If it fails to fold over on itself, things go bad quickly.
Yes, I have started to do this as well making sure the lead edge is folded ok

JBurton

Signtologist
I keep a core in the basket. It seems to keep the vinyl from tenting up in the middle. I do a run of a roll of arlon slx every few months with 10' plotted sections, and for whatever reason it has a really bad habit of trying to fold over the front edge of the basket, so you have to gently nudge it backwards so it folds backwards instead of forwards (over the basket edge). I finally figure out I could just put a core, suspended on a piece of angle, right on top of the basket rails, about 6" from the front edge, so when the vinyl starts to stand up it bumps the core and folds backwards.
If I had a fc9000, I'd buy that dang takeup reel!

jagku

Thanks for this. Have you any photos of this? Especially: "I finally figure out I could just put a core, suspended on a piece of angle, right on top of the basket rails, about 6" from the front edge". Just trying to picture how to do this?

JBurton

Signtologist
Obviously there's no vinyl loaded, but once the leading edge hits the bottom of the basket, the portion that starts standing up will bump that core, and relax back into the basket. I do my long runs at 20 or 25, running it faster may make the material lap over the bar.
IMG_5739.jpg