• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec flatbed plotter

Richibahn

Ok guys, I'm firing my summa s-class t series plotter before i throw it out the window. I've had this thing for like 5 days, and haven't cut one thing. Much like a previous poster here, I too am cutting 14-22 mil material for powersports graphics. I am about to drop the note on a FC-2240 37x47" electrostatic flatbed- but I want to make sure it will cut this stuff stencil cut style. I need these decals to be die cut, essentially, and don't want to be hosed. any feedback will be great- for 15k, I can't seem to go wrong, where Zund quoted me @ $55k. I hope you guys can help.

Rich

ChicagoGraphics

Zund's machine is an animal you get what you pay for
hope it works out for you, if you do decide to toss it out the window
let me know, I'll be there to catch it lol

ChiknNutz

Really?! I'm surprised at that. I've always thought Summas to be creme of the crop, especially the S-class plotters.

Rod

Richibahn said:
I've had this thing for like 5 days, and haven't cut one thing.

Yes, that is a familiar sensation, where the machine does not want to cooperate.

Are you saying that not even sending a test cut works? I take it you're designing in Illustrator and then using a bridge to send cut data?

Rod

47CP

I've got a FC2231-90 Electrosatic Flatbed that was purchased in ~1990. It has cut heavy, heavy material its entire life and is still going strong today.

It does an exceptional job on heavy stuff, and even for "normal" vinyl is pretty nice to work with.

HTH,

DaveW

r&dDave

I am about to drop the note on a FC-2240 37x47" electrostatic flatbed- but I want to make sure it will cut this stuff stencil cut style.
Rich

Rich,

I installed a new Graphtec FC2240-120mg last month. I cut 30mil material all day long with it. It will do the job! The biggest issue is the software. My dealer recommended I drive it with Flexi but I decided to use Graphtec's supplied Cutting Master instead. I'm using it as a plug-in with Illustrator CS. The interface is not very elegant but if you understand XY coordinates you'll do OK with it.

The lack of automatic alignment was not a major issue for me. Especially when it meant spending another $12-15K. Make sure you buy one of the crosshair loupes - it makes alignment much easier.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Dave

Rod

In Summer 2006, someone posted a long thread that summarized the various sign software, bridge applications, plug ins, etc. It would probably be useful for you, though I am unable to locate the thread.

Rod