• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec plotter - "Can't Open Port" error

Reaction GFX

I get this on my 5 year old fc 8600 from time to time, easiest fix is unplug and plug back in the USB cable
This is like asking me if I turned it off and back on again. :D I guess you didn't read the entire thread (I don't blame you.) It has pretty much been determined that the USB port on the plotter is dead. Serial connection was my only hope and it required a proprietary cable that Graphtec no longer sells. Had to build the cable, but it works again.

victor bogdanov

I've owned a summa s2 t series for a couple of years along with graphtecs and roland, I hate the summa, plastic pinch roller handle broke off within a year, summa knows this is so issue but won't do anything about other than sell you another plastic handle.

The blades are overpriced and every other blade is a dud, super hard to get the t blades dialed in.

Let summa know about the blade duds and they delete my reviews and ignore emails about blade problems.

Just ranting wish I never bought the summa, graphtec all the way

victor bogdanov

This is like asking me if I turned it off and back on again. :D I guess you didn't read the entire thread (I don't blame you.) It has pretty much been determined that the USB port on the plotter is dead. Serial connection was my only hope and it required a proprietary cable that Graphtec no longer sells. Had to build the cable, but it works again.

Yea didn't read, im guessing mine will die soon but that's ok since its been going 8hrs a day for years and years

Reaction GFX

I've owned a summa s2 t series for a couple of years along with graphtecs and roland, I hate the summa, plastic pinch roller handle broke off within a year, summa knows this is so issue but won't do anything about other than sell you another plastic handle.

The blades are overpriced and every other blade is a dud, super hard to get the t blades dialed in.

Let summa know about the blade duds and they delete my reviews and ignore emails about blade problems.

Just ranting wish I never bought the summa, graphtec all the way
Well that's a bummer. Although I'm pretty sure if I do enough searching, I will find a bunch of people that hate and a bunch of people that love each of the three brands I mentioned. I don't hate my Graphtec, but it's got its share of issues, so I don't really love it either. I'm intrigued by the tangential cutting of the Summa because my Graphtec has always struggled with small text and I've never been able to resolve it. I do get a fair number of jobs that call for cutting pretty small text. It's pretty much a crapshoot no matter which one I go with, though, isn't it? I guess I always thought Summa was pretty much the Cadillac of plotters...

victor bogdanov

Well that's a bummer. Although I'm pretty sure if I do enough searching, I will find a bunch of people that hate and a bunch of people that love each of the three brands I mentioned. I don't hate my Graphtec, but it's got its share of issues, so I don't really love it either. I'm intrigued by the tangential cutting of the Summa because my Graphtec has always struggled with small text and I've never been able to resolve it. I do get a fair number of jobs that call for cutting pretty small text. It's pretty much a crapshoot no matter which one I go with, though, isn't it? I guess I always thought Summa was pretty much the Cadillac of plotters...

Hopefully it works out for you, we do lots of small text too and fc9000 runs laps around the s2 tangential. Graphtec with Chinese blades beats summa geniun blades and way faster easier to set up. I got the s2 specifically for small text and its a let down due to the slow speed and set up headache, expensive blades and every other blade being bad.

Only buying Graphtec from now on, i have 4 fc9000, 2 fc8600, 1 summa and 2 rolands

victor bogdanov

Just remembered - using the brass tip tool holder on the graphtec significantly improves small letter cutting, it is way better than the standard holder

Graphtec-PHP35-CB09-HS-Blade-Holder.jpg

victor bogdanov

How does this help? I don't doubt it, I just can't imagine the plastic on such a small part having more give, but I suppose it would introduce a lot more flex and deflection than a metal holder.
Quick question, do you use it for all cutting, or just swap it out for smaller text?

I guess there is less flex, it makes a significant difference. I usually have 2 holders, 1 for large stuff with cheap blades and 1 for small text with geniun blades. I use the metal holder for all applications as it only slightly more expensive and last a while

NDB

Thought I'd update everyone on the current status of my plotter...IT LIVES AGAIN!!!

I ordered a solderless DB25 and DB9 connector from Amazon, cut up an existing serial cable, and today I made the Graphtec-specific serial cable according to the pin diagram I was sent by the tech. Hooked my cable up to the Keyspan adapter, and voilà! Cutting Master 4 sees the plotter and sends jobs just fine. I did have to go in and change the port number for the Keyspan adapter in device manager, and I had to change the flow control to "hardware" (which seemed to be the default setting in CM4), but it works! Honestly, I'm a little shocked. I really didn't figure it would work and especially not on the first try of making the custom cable. I had read some reviews about pins not being assigned properly on these Chinese solderless connectors. I guess I got lucky.

All that said, I'm still going to pull the trigger on the Summa tomorrow. I can't afford to have the Graphtec die on me again, and especially not when I have a big cutting job in the shop. I was lucky this time and didn't have much cutting work in when it stopped working. I'd hate to have to scramble to get a new plotter in here on short notice, and it's really only a matter of time before this thing REALLY buys the farm. At least now I can either keep it as a functioning backup or sell it for more money than I could if it was just a parts machine. Also, I simply can't pass up the great deal on the Summa. I really think with Covid going on right now, that may be part of the reason for the great deal and I likely won't be offered such a great deal down the road. I was quoted $5995 with free delivery/install/training on the Summa S2-T140, $5795 for a Graphtec FC9000-140 (free delivery but no free install or training), and $5515 + $495 install/training for a Roland CAMM-1 GR-540. The Summa is by far the best deal.

Thanks to everyone that offered advice and assistance on this issue. Glad it's finally solved!

NDB

I’m teacher in a computer graphic high school in Belgium (Europe).
Last year, I received an old cutting plotter with DB25 port. The engines look good, but it’s impossible to transfer job by cable to the plotter.
I am looking for a usb / DB25 adapter to connect a PC to an old cutting plotter (Graphtec FC 2232). I tried with an adapter bought from Ebay, but it doesn't work.
I read the forum and saw that you transform the cable.Do you think it is possible to use it to communicate with the plotter? Do you have the diagram?
Best regards,

Nicolas Durdu
Thought I'd update everyone on the current status of my plotter...IT LIVES AGAIN!!!

I ordered a solderless DB25 and DB9 connector from Amazon, cut up an existing serial cable, and today I made the Graphtec-specific serial cable according to the pin diagram I was sent by the tech. Hooked my cable up to the Keyspan adapter, and voilà! Cutting Master 4 sees the plotter and sends jobs just fine. I did have to go in and change the port number for the Keyspan adapter in device manager, and I had to change the flow control to "hardware" (which seemed to be the default setting in CM4), but it works! Honestly, I'm a little shocked. I really didn't figure it would work and especially not on the first try of making the custom cable. I had read some reviews about pins not being assigned properly on these Chinese solderless connectors. I guess I got lucky.

All that said, I'm still going to pull the trigger on the Summa tomorrow. I can't afford to have the Graphtec die on me again, and especially not when I have a big cutting job in the shop. I was lucky this time and didn't have much cutting work in when it stopped working. I'd hate to have to scramble to get a new plotter in here on short notice, and it's really only a matter of time before this thing REALLY buys the farm. At least now I can either keep it as a functioning backup or sell it for more money than I could if it was just a parts machine. Also, I simply can't pass up the great deal on the Summa. I really think with Covid going on right now, that may be part of the reason for the great deal and I likely won't be offered such a great deal down the road. I was quoted $5995 with free delivery/install/training on the Summa S2-T140, $5795 for a Graphtec FC9000-140 (free delivery but no free install or training), and $5515 + $495 install/training for a Roland CAMM-1 GR-540. The Summa is by far the best deal.

Thanks to everyone that offered advice and assistance on this issue. Glad it's finally solved!

victor bogdanov

Are you located in the USA, there are still some Graphtec FC 8600 brand new you can find for around $3600, I actually got a few more fc8600 at that price as it is too good to pass up

netsol

NDB

you can set it up with a usb serial adapter or using a serial cable, but EITHER WAY,
you need to match the settings of the port to the plotter
buy yourself a new serial adapter amazon or ebay, LOAD THE CORRECT DRIVER, THEN PLUG IT IN
then we can go to device manager>ports>your port>advanced & match the settings

ie: 9600, 8 none, 1 odd x on/x off

serial is not plug and play and must be set properly

i have setup serial connections for over 30 years & will help you,

but lets start outbeith a device we know will work

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Serial-A...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

usb devices, always load driver, BEFORE you plug device in

it will create a port that shows in device manager, probably com 5 or higher, then we get to match the settings

NDB

Hi Victor,

I'm live in Belgium, Europe. So it'll be to expensive to import the plotter.
Regards,

NDB

netsol

\

You certainly don't have to solder the connections. In fact, you can run to a radio shack and pick up a terminal and strip 6" worth of cable jacket to get a clear view of all the wires. Get a multimeter and check continuity as you go. Buy a little box to mount the terminal in when your done.
02740680_01_330754c7-2f2e-4559-9ba7-0beca624ee47_grande.jpg

a radio shack, you say?

jburton, i just reread our thread. although i cursed them almost daily, for the lack of quality control, DAMN IT! I MISS THEM.

the whole idea of being able to walk into a store and leave with the item you wanted (or will SETTLE for) seems so much better after getting to know amazon better

as a side note, as an IT professional, almost all of our wholesalers are gone, most were precovid, so i find the easy choices to purchse ram are amazon, or an unknown seller on ebay. surprisingly (?) i find a lower failure rate among the recycled garbage on ebay than i get from the worlds 3rd largest retailer, amazon

i can only assume you don't become the world's richest man by giving anyone an even break