• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec pro FC9000 cutting into artwork

naminexnobody

Hello everyone!
I have frequented this forum for sometime as a non-member but I have run into some problems with one of my graphtec FC9000 plotters at work and figured it was time I joined so I can get in here. I have been printing here for roughly 6 months and have minimal experience with our machines before this but have had overall pretty good luck with solving issues with our machines as they arise.

Recently the printer has been cutting into and out of the cut lines of the artwork where the blade stops to leave tabs as it is cutting. I have never run into this before but I feel like I should add that it is also on the oldest cutter in our shop.

I have done some general tests to try to correct this but nothing has worked. Things like changing the blade, changing the blade holder with a new blade, messed with the belt tension a bit and all of the cut settings are the same on my other 3 cutters and those are doing great. I have tried looking through the manual and doing a search online and here and cannot find what the problem could be and I fear it is such a simple fix I’ll feel silly.

So please! Any and all advice I’m open too and welcome! Thanks!

I’ve attached photos to show the problem!
757042F4-4EBE-4119-BFCB-505E482C52A9.jpeg
AE89E93A-6B84-42DC-A6E3-E86680ED4B08.jpeg

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Is your blade type and/or offset set correctly?
Most users will use the CB09 blade, so ensure that the machine settings match your blade type.

BigNate

you blade holder is not letting the blade free swivel... sometimes a tiny piece of vinyl will adhere to the blade (very small, and going into the holder a little....) it will cause similar problems. if the marks are only on 1 direction, like in-out slices, not side-to-side, it can be caused by loose rollers.

When I study your pic and look for blade travel, it looks like as soon as the blade is pulled out of the media, it has a rotational spring-back (it had been cutting on a curve, so the blade was slowly rotating while cutting... if the above mentioned piece of media is inside the holder, it can cause this.)

Try disassembling the blade holder (very simple, not the carriage, just the small holder) make sure there is nothing that would bind the blade. (a less likely thing I have seen is if a blade is worn more on 1 side than the other - remember paper is 'polished' with clay, and is very abrasive to the blade - they don't last forever. If 1-side is worn more than the other, the blade will work like a rudder trying to turn either into or away from the artwork - is the mini-shark fin made right before the blade pulls out, or right after a plunge? that will tell a lot. I bet is is after the plunge and is from some gunk in the blade holder.)

naminexnobody

you blade holder is not letting the blade free swivel... sometimes a tiny piece of vinyl will adhere to the blade (very small, and going into the holder a little....) it will cause similar problems. if the marks are only on 1 direction, like in-out slices, not side-to-side, it can be caused by loose rollers.

When I study your pic and look for blade travel, it looks like as soon as the blade is pulled out of the media, it has a rotational spring-back (it had been cutting on a curve, so the blade was slowly rotating while cutting... if the above mentioned piece of media is inside the holder, it can cause this.)

Try disassembling the blade holder (very simple, not the carriage, just the small holder) make sure there is nothing that would bind the blade. (a less likely thing I have seen is if a blade is worn more on 1 side than the other - remember paper is 'polished' with clay, and is very abrasive to the blade - they don't last forever. If 1-side is worn more than the other, the blade will work like a rudder trying to turn either into or away from the artwork - is the mini-shark fin made right before the blade pulls out, or right after a plunge? that will tell a lot. I bet is is after the plunge and is from some gunk in the blade holder.
I will give this a try! but I did take one of the blade holders (with a new blade) from one of our other machines that is cutting great and when I put that holder in the machine that I am talking about the problem persists.

I was thinking the same thing that you said in the second paragraph you wrote because something has to be moving when the blade stops for the tab and comes out of the media.

I’ve been wondering if I should just replace all the plastic blade holders with the metal ones they offer since I’ve read good reviews about their quality as well.

Anyways sorry for rambling I really appreciate the reply and I’ll give it another go after taking it apart and cleaning it and will let you know!

naminexnobody

W
Is your blade type and/or offset set correctly?
Most users will use the CB09 blade, so ensure that the machine settings match your blade type
We currently use the graphtec branded CB15UA blades. The blade type is correct in the machine settings but I will have to double check our offset