• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Green masking tape

DesireeM

Wondering if anyone can suggest a supplier with the best price on boxes of the green painter's tape rolls.

We go through tons of the stuff because we use it basically for everything. It has to be a medium tack that doesn't leave residue behind. We don't use it for its main purpose so it doesn't have to be a high-grade paint mask. We use it for keeping vinyl rolls and prints closed while standing, tacking temporary pages to walls, holding masked vinyl in place for application, labeling etc...

Right now we are paying $3-$5 per-roll in a box. Anyone have a cheaper option?

Dennis422

Local Marc's stores in Ohio have them every once in a while for $1.49/roll for a 1.5" wide and $.99 for a 1" wide rolls.
I buy quite a few when I see them in stock

DesireeM

I guess I should specify that it needs to be an online supplier or one local to me. Sudbury, Ontario Canada.

DesireeM

I always use 3m #233 or 223. It has a yellow core with red lettering. Canadian Tire has it.

That doesn't really answer my question.
Of course I know I can get the stuff at Canadian Tire, Lowes, Home Depot, the corner store etc but my question says I am looking for a supplier that sells it by the box for less than $3+ tax per roll.

player

That doesn't really answer my question.
Of course I know I can get the stuff at Canadian Tire, Lowes, Home Depot, the corner store etc but my question says I am looking for a supplier that sells it by the box for less than $3+ tax per roll.

Sorry

rjssigns

Go to your local auto or industrial paint supplier and set up an account. Tough to beat their pricing and it will be consistent. Can set up a delivery schedule too.

John Butto

Uline

If you are buying large quantity, look into this company. I have one of their thick catalogs around somewhere.

I just use Frog Tape and buy it locally. I don't care what I have to pay for it. One $8.00 roll will help me to complete, at minimum, upwards of $2000 worth of work or better, so the cost of the stuff means nothing to me. Saving money on things like substrate, ink, and vinyl seems worthwhile, but I have better things to do with my time than waste it trying to save money on necessary commodities like, tape and paper towels.

DesireeM

I just use Frog Tape and buy it locally. I don't care what I have to pay for it. One $8.00 roll will help me to complete, at minimum, upwards of $2000 worth of work or better, so the cost of the stuff means nothing to me. Saving money on things like substrate, ink, and vinyl seems worthwhile, but I have better things to do with my time than waste it trying to save money on necessary commodities like, tape and paper towels.

Thank you for that story about you.
icon7.png

DesireeM

If you are buying large quantity, look into this company. I have one of their thick catalogs around somewhere.

Yeah I have a few of them kicking around too. I checked their website and it looks like what I had in mind.

Ever use their masking tape by any chance?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Find an industrial supplier up there. Cannot recommend one up there myself. Down here in the southern US we buy a ton of this sort of stuff from an industrial supply company called RS Hughes.

http://www.rshughes.com/

For us - just like sign suppliers we do not pay the catalog/list prices for anything. We call or email our sales rep what I'm looking for an he gives us a custom price quote. We don't use the green tape, just a plain 3M 1.5" painters tape but I get it for less than $2 a roll. You might be surprised to find other things an industrial supply company might also carry. For example - Olfa Black Max blades. I get the 50 packs of them - for about $13 versus close to $20 most anywhere else. They also carry 3M Primer 94 for about 25% less than any sign supplier.... We order all sorts of things from them. Realistically it only takes a little bit of time up front one time with a sales rep. You put together a list of things you use in your business that they carry, the sales rep will get your pricing setup. When you go through the amount of "commodities" we do, yeah saving a couple of bucks ads up very very fast. The particular industrial supplier we use also delivers free saving me a LOT more in time not spent running around stores buying all this. Another is alcohol..... overall the price is not really any better (or any worse) than what we could go to Wal Mart and buy 1l bottles for but we get 99% Iso in a 55 gallon drum. Again, saves massive amounts of time from running around. Also saves a ton of waste plastic bottles. Have a wooden 2x6 stand made for the drum to sit on its side on. Screw a cheap hose spigot into it and hammer a nail into the stand to hand a funnel on. :)

Baz

Uline will charge you a dollar for the roll of tape but then they will want over 50 bucks for shipping.

Enquired a couple of times about some stuff but it is far from a good deal in the end.

Plus last time they sent me x4 of those big catalogues on the same day. They went directly into the recycling bin.

DesireeM

Find an industrial supplier up there. Cannot recommend one up there myself. Down here in the southern US we buy a ton of this sort of stuff from an industrial supply company called RS Hughes.

http://www.rshughes.com/

For us - just like sign suppliers we do not pay the catalog/list prices for anything. We call or email our sales rep what I'm looking for an he gives us a custom price quote. We don't use the green tape, just a plain 3M 1.5" painters tape but I get it for less than $2 a roll. You might be surprised to find other things an industrial supply company might also carry. For example - Olfa Black Max blades. I get the 50 packs of them - for about $13 versus close to $20 most anywhere else. They also carry 3M Primer 94 for about 25% less than any sign supplier.... We order all sorts of things from them. Realistically it only takes a little bit of time up front one time with a sales rep. You put together a list of things you use in your business that they carry, the sales rep will get your pricing setup. When you go through the amount of "commodities" we do, yeah saving a couple of bucks ads up very very fast. The particular industrial supplier we use also delivers free saving me a LOT more in time not spent running around stores buying all this. Another is alcohol..... overall the price is not really any better (or any worse) than what we could go to Wal Mart and buy 1l bottles for but we get 99% Iso in a 55 gallon drum. Again, saves massive amounts of time from running around. Also saves a ton of waste plastic bottles. Have a wooden 2x6 stand made for the drum to sit on its side on. Screw a cheap hose spigot into it and hammer a nail into the stand to hand a funnel on. :)

You're speaking my language! Thanks for the info.
icon14.png

Thank you for that story about you.
icon7.png

Just saying. Sometimes it's hard to justify spending time searching for ways to save a few pennies when you could have been working on more important things like making money on jobs. To each their own. Although I will say $2.00 a roll sounds tempting.