• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GS-15plus knife dragging - ruins prints!

thewoodage

Any idea's on what i should do with this little delema?

We have a GS15 plus - as of about a week ago, it'll cut and cut and cut and be fine, then all the sudden when the knife decided to cut the left corner two letters, then go all the way down to the right corner to cut a dot, then all the way back up to the left again (even though i've hit sequence plot) it'll drag the knife ever-so-slightly and leave a nice scratch across the printed area - bunking the whole print.

If i adjust the knife pressure then the print won't cut out, and it still scratches it. Any with idea's i'd be glad to hear them, thanks y'all.

Flame

Do you have a setting on the plotter for different blades? My Graphtec has like 6 settings I think.

threeputt

Hey, from a Buckeye (formerly).

Check the little washer under the knife. If it's fallen out it could be the culprit. It's the little neoprene? washer. If it's out it will make the blade lower into the toolholder by the thickness of the washer.

I don't know, just an idea.

thewoodage

so as i'm reading 3putt's (who is a former buckeye - which makes him nothing short of a genius) post, the other girl that works here with me hollars "hey, maybe this thingy falling off the knife made a difference?" 3putt - you are truly a genius!

Replicator

Thats weird, cause I don't even use the neoprene washer and I've never had a problem with a cut . . .

I still have the washer, I just don't use it !

graphixplus

1-Make sure the sprockets are clean!
2-Make sure the rotating Bar that lifts the Knife Is Absolutely Clean!
3-Make sure the little Foot that rubs the Rotating bar hasen't come loose
4- make sure your using the correct setting (Swivel Knife/Tangental)

The last thing would be to remove the top cover, back where the motor is are magnetics (hard to explain).

there are 4 sets of magnetic sensors (A-set = 2Magnetics faceing each other with about a 3/16" gap between them)
Make sure there is nothing between them (Canned Air / Dry paint brush)
dust bunnies can effect the current & effect the overall lifting capiabilities.

Good Luck

thewoodage

well after replacing the washer it is still doing it - so thanks to all for suggestions and i will be moving on with taking the cover off, cleaning the entire thing and hopefully solving my problem - thanks again y'all.

Checkers

The blade holder and the "tube" in which it sits probably just needs a good cleaning. I think Gerber recommends using 90% isopropyl alcohol and no lubrication. Check your manual to be sure.
If that doesn't work, turn the machine off and see if you can rotate the silver(?) bar which controls the up and down movement of the blade and holder and make sure you get enough clearance between the media and the blade.
Also, you can check to make sure that the tool(it may look like a 2 prong fork?) that lifts the blade holder didn't get bent out of shape. This can happen when you use too much cutting pressure on the blade.

Checkers