• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GS-15Plus Roller Melting! Is there a quick solution?

stitchup

The best way to describe the roller on my Gerber GS-15Plus is, it's melting!

Just wondering if there's a quick solution to keep me going? I'm in the UK so sending it to the US is not an option at present!!

Cheers

John

highrolling24

The rollers are made out of like a butyl,kinda like a tar when it gets warm it will melt. I had to replace mine, Plotter Dr. in the US had it in stock but this was few years ago. They are not bad to replace they had good instructions, I also cleaned it up and installed new bearings and it still works like a champ, the cuts are still right on.

stitchup

Thanks both - I replied to your PM Owen.

My roller definitely doesn't get warm - can't afford the heating :) It's been happening over a couple of years and now getting to be unusable :(

Cheers

John

I (carefully) wrapped a gooey roller in vinyl as a temporary solution. It seemed to cut OK, especially with synthetic liner vinyl (3M 7725, sandblast mask). But I ordered a new roller from Plotter Docter right away.

I also had the "bail arm" (not sure if that's what it's called--it's the arm you flip down to hold the vinyl against the drum and sprockets) go soft and sticky. Took it off, carved the old stuff off and removed any remaining black crap with adhesive remover (it was a mess) and slid a length of 1/4" gas line (automotive supply). It works great.

RG

I had the same problem with the same plotter about 10 years ago. I was able to fix it myself. I removed the roller and cleaned all of the "tar" off and for about $30 bought a 3M cold shrink tube. I put the tube on the roller and trimmed off the excess. The 3M tube isn't the same thickness all over. So, I made a jig to hold the roller so that it would spin and used a special grinder to true it. It's still working just fine. Also, the rubber on the 3M cold shrink tube will not go soft.