• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GS6000 pausing after every 4-8 passes

Reaction GFX

So this is really annoying. Printer is printing fine, but every once in a while (like today) it will pause for a few seconds after every 4-8 passes or so. Sounds like it's wiping the head, then it will continue. Not sure if it's a printer issue or a RIP issue (I'm running Onyx x10). It has done this in the past years ago, seemed to just fix itself. Just started doing it again recently. Doesn't do it with every job. At this rate, I'm not going to get anything printed. Anyone have any ideas?

Reaction GFX

Of course, nearly immediately after posting this, I clicked "stop printing" in Onyx and it started printing fine again with no pauses. When the stop confirmation dialog popped up (took a minute or two--older computer), I just cancelled it. Printing fine now. So weird. I think it's a RIP/computer issue.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It's probably either a network issue or a hardware bottleneck. Does your RIP rip the file while it prints or does it rip the whole thing first and then print? If it rips while printing, the computer might not be keeping up and so the printer has to stop and wait for more data. This will happen on larger jobs but also higher resolution profiles with variable dot. If the RIP rips the file completely before sending the job to the printer, you probably have network issues.

Reaction GFX

It's probably either a network issue or a hardware bottleneck. Does your RIP rip the file while it prints or does it rip the whole thing first and then print? If it rips while printing, the computer might not be keeping up and so the printer has to stop and wait for more data. This will happen on larger jobs but also higher resolution profiles with variable dot. If the RIP rips the file completely before sending the job to the printer, you probably have network issues.

Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking, but why would it sound like it's wiping the head every time it stops? Is that normal? My RIP rips the entire file and then sends it, so that's not the issue. Printer is connected via USB. I feel like the last time this happened a lot, which was years ago, the fix was to switch from ethernet connection to USB. I do have a somewhat newer, definitely more powerful computer that I'm planning to swap out with my older RIP computer. It is a designated RIP computer, so I don't use it for anything else. Maybe the newer computer will solve this. Weird that is JUST started doing it again after years of not doing it. Now to find the time to configure the other computer...

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking, but why would it sound like it's wiping the head every time it stops? Is that normal? My RIP rips the entire file and then sends it, so that's not the issue. Printer is connected via USB. I feel like the last time this happened a lot, which was years ago, the fix was to switch from ethernet connection to USB. I do have a somewhat newer, definitely more powerful computer that I'm planning to swap out with my older RIP computer. It is a designated RIP computer, so I don't use it for anything else. Maybe the newer computer will solve this. Weird that is JUST started doing it again after years of not doing it. Now to find the time to configure the other computer...

The printer is programmed to wipe and run the pump any time it returns to the capping area so whenever the printer stops to wait for more data or to process more data it will sound like it's cleaning but it's really just wiping the ink off the head and moving ink out of the pump tubes. It sounds like either the USB connection is malfunctioning or possibly the printer's ability to process the data is impaired somehow. I would try another computer to rule it out along with a new cable. If the problem persists, you might have some sort of main board issue on the printer. Also, if you have installed a new machine or device that gives off a strong electrical field near by, that could be affecting it as well.

Jun Lanon

So this is really annoying. Printer is printing fine, but every once in a while (like today) it will pause for a few seconds after every 4-8 passes or so. Sounds like it's wiping the head, then it will continue. Not sure if it's a printer issue or a RIP issue (I'm running Onyx x10). It has done this in the past years ago, seemed to just fix itself. Just started doing it again recently. Doesn't do it with every job. At this rate, I'm not going to get anything printed. Anyone have any ideas?
Remove old files and temporary files from your pc. Over stack of files causes pc to slow down the process with your controller/onyx.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
+ 1 to Vander J's posts.

If you were using a network switch, it should be restarted by OFF then ON again. Since you're using USB, everything in the pipeline should be restarted.