• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Guide lines in CorelDraw 12

Colin

Why can't I get rid of guide lines by simply dragging them off to the side or top ruler bar? In order to get rid of them I have to double click on 'em and choose delete, then ok, grrrrr.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Yeah, the new behavior with guides can be a pain. I was used to deleting them by dragging them off to the side or top into the ruler areas. But I also just click on them and hit the delete key as well.

I'm not sure if the behavior has anything to do with the "dynamic guides" feature of CorelDRAW 12. The extra snapping capability on the guides (and many parts of other objects) seems to add more than is taken away from the way guides worked in previous versions.

The things that burn me up about CorelDRAW 12 are other nagging problems, like them eliminating the one-shot zoom tool. I was very accustomed to using that in CorelDRAW 9. I don't like how the quality of the contour and convert outline to object functions have dropped in terms of quality. They really stink compared to similar effects in Adobe Illustrator and Macromedia Freehand.

The biggest PITA to me regarding CorelDRAW 12 is its very unstable behavior. I've tried it on two different desktop machines and my notebook computer and have seen it crash in really crazy ways. On my desktop machine at work (a new Dell Dimenion 9100 with a Pentium D 840, 2GB of RAM, 256MB GeForce 6800, etc.) CorelDRAW 12 can be made to crash simply by nudging objects around with the arrow keys on the keyboard.

A CorelDRAW 12 crash is especially a big pain because that Corel A.R.M. wizard pops up endlessly reminding you the application has become unstable -even after you have shut down the application! It takes a full reboot to get rid of the wizard message. Arrgh!

Falling back on Corel 9 doesn't make things much better. I can't install either of the service packs for that release on my XP Pro laptop or new XP Pro work computer. On the new dual core machine, Corel 9 will sometime lock up when attempting to open or import a new file. And then the application will sometimes not even run right after such a crash until it is launched using the F8 key to restore the default installation settings.

I formerly used CorelDRAW for most of my sign design work, only bringing artwork into Flexi when it was ready to cut or rout. Illustrator would only get launched when I needed to get Corel-generated paths into Photoshop (using Illustrator as a middle man app in the process). The bugs from CorelDRAW, and huge improvements in Adobe's applications, have me using IllustratorCS2 much more often. It's only going to take a couple more improvements within the program, or a third party plug-in or two, for me to drop CorelDRAW entirely.

The folks at Corel had better get on the ball about these bug problems and quality issues with their effects or Adobe will make CorelDRAW disappear. Painter will wind up being Corel's tent pole app.

cdsgraphic

I don't think guidelines have worked that way (drag off the screen) since ver. 7. You'll get used to it, just select the guideline, like any other object, and hit the delete key. Or, Select, right click for pop-up menu and choose delete. After you select the guideline, if you (left) click it again, you can rotate the guideline.

Colin

Thanks guys. That's helpful as I didn't know you could use the delete key.
Ya gotta wonder what their thinking was to NOT have them drag off the screen - seems like the most logical way.

Bobby H: I've found CorelDraw 12 to be Rock-Solid-Stable. Never once has it baled. My Scanvec Inspire will occasionally crash though. I wonder if there's some other issue going on with yours(?).

Giddee up........

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
cdsgraphic said:
I don't think guidelines have worked that way (drag off the screen) since ver. 7.

In version 9 you can delete guides by dragging them off the screen or just clicking on them and hitting the delete key.

Colin said:
I've found CorelDraw 12 to be Rock-Solid-Stable. Never once has it baled. (snip) I wonder if there's some other issue going on with yours(?).

The funny thing is CorelDRAW (both versions 9 and 12) seems to be the only application that crashes on the three systems I've tried. What version of Windows are you using under your Corel 12 installation? I can't help but wonder if there might be some issue between it and WinXP SP2.

I've learned to work around the hazardous bugs in CorelDRAW 9. The most damaging one is the app crashing when trying to auto-save or when you manually save. It usually happens to me when a Postscript Type 1 font is active that it doesn't like, such as Adobe's ITC Officina Sans & Serif families. Sometimes the save or auto-save crash erases all the art in the entire document. The only saving grace in that is sometimes Corel will have a "@@@cdrw.tmp" file that may still have some of your art intact. But now that I have Adobe InDesignCS2, I don't use CorelDRAW for any complex text oriented documents any longer.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Bobby H said:
I've learned to work around the hazardous bugs in CorelDRAW 9. The most damaging one is the app crashing when trying to auto-save or when you manually save. It usually happens to me when a Postscript Type 1 font is active that it doesn't like, such as Adobe's ITC Officina Sans & Serif families. Sometimes the save or auto-save crash erases all the art in the entire document. The only saving grace in that is sometimes Corel will have a "@@@cdrw.tmp" file that may still have some of your art intact. But now that I have Adobe InDesignCS2, I don't use CorelDRAW for any complex text oriented documents any longer.
We use Corel 9 on an XP machine without SP2 installed. I keep Officina Sans & Serif open all the time and we don't have any problems with crashes - it is not our primary program though so we may not have been pushing it hard enough. :smile:
It does seem to save and auto save okay though.

cdsgraphic

The funny thing is CorelDRAW (both versions 9 and 12) seems to be the only application that crashes on the three systems I've tried.

I run corel 12 on XP SP2. It is very stable on mine, it has crashed a couple of times, but nothing excessive. I have even been pushing it too the limits since we got the printer with some really complicated designs.

The most damaging one is the app crashing when trying to auto-save or when you manually save.

Never had that problem, always saves just fine.

I set my PC's up as task independent stations. ie, a design station is just for that, and use a different pc for internet, email and other stuff.

Colin

Bobby H,

I went from Corel 7 (Select Edition) to 12. It's on my PC with XP and SP2.
The motherboard is from an old Windows 98 computer upgraded to XP so maybe that has something to do with it. I know that this is the only reason that I have been getting away with running Scanvec Inspire 1.6 on it, as Inspire apparently won't run on XP, but it does on mine because of the old motherboard.

I am dreading the day when this computer packs it in and I have to het a newer one - requiring an expensive switch to Flexi. Grrrrr.
I have found Inspire to be awesome and haven't been able to justify the expensive switch.

cdsgraphic

"Upgrading" the OS is a bad idea... Always format the hard drive and load the OS from scratch, even if it is an upgrade disk (ie windows xp upgrade). at some point you will have to put the old OS (win98) cd in the drive, but you end up with a much more stable OS.