• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Haluski, if you like it you will love this.

OldPaint

since that post i was gona make Haluski tonite but didnt have any egg noodles so i did my other favorite polish cabbage food.....HA-LUPE-KEE. otherwise know as "cabbage rolls."
EXCEPT.......i didnt want to spend all day cooking like my mom did when she made these, i devised what i call "stove top, cabbage rolls." bout 1/2 hour to 45 min. max
1. brown to caramelize you onions(with garlic if you like)
2. slice up a head of cabbage like you would for Haluski.
3. remove the onions from pan, and now cook the cut up cabbage, to a really well done(some brown)state.
4. now get a pound or so of ground round and fry it up in the same pan that you cooked the cabbage in.
5. put on a pan of minute rice or regular rice, let it cook.
6. back to done ground round, now add the onions, cabbage, and a jar of spaghetti sauce, and when the rice is done, fold that into the onions, cabbage ground meat. let sit for 5-8 minutes, so the rice can pick up the sauce, serve on a plate and enjoy.
not as pretty as traditional cabbage rolls, which most people chop up when they are on the plate to cool so you can eat em, mine looks much the same)))))

showcase 66

since that post i was gona make Haluski tonite but didnt have any egg noodles so i did my other favorite polish cabbage food.....HA-LUPE-KEE. otherwise know as "cabbage rolls."
EXCEPT.......i didnt want to spend all day cooking like my mom did when she made these, i devised what i call "stove top, cabbage rolls." bout 1/2 hour to 45 min. max
1. brown to caramelize you onions(with garlic if you like)
2. slice up a head of cabbage like you would for Haluski.
3. remove the onions from pan, and now cook the cut up cabbage, to a really well done(some brown)state.
4. now get a pound or so of ground round and fry it up in the same pan that you cooked the cabbage in.
5. put on a pan of minute rice or regular rice, let it cook.
6. back to done ground round, now add the onions, cabbage, and a jar of spaghetti sauce, and when the rice is done, fold that into the onions, cabbage ground meat. let sit for 5-8 minutes, so the rice can pick up the sauce, serve on a plate and enjoy.
not as pretty as traditional cabbage rolls, which most people chop up when they are on the plate to cool so you can eat em, mine looks much the same)))))

Love them too... My mom would do a variation like yours for a quick meal. Definitely not as good as the regular recipe but still satisfying and gives me the warm feeling of comfort food. We used to call them "piggies" when I was little. My mom mad a variation of it and called it "piggie meatloaf" and then would have Haluski with it.

Curious OP. Do you just use ground round in your traditional version. My family always did 50/50 ground pork and ground beef. When my grandma made them she would grind her own.

Wish there was some polish food places around here. Closest thing we have is a Polish dog on a Hot Dog Cart at home depot.

tomence

The best way is to grind your own meat and also mix 50/50 pork with veal not beef or 60% pork + 40% veal.

OldPaint

my mom preferred ground round steak. not as greasy as a 50/50 beef pork. we owned a mom/pop grocery store in the 50's, so she ground her own and then when we had the bar, she still went to a packing house to buy cut meat, and we still had this big old grinder and she still ground it from that.
i wouda told what i really put in it but that woulda went somewhere else. like i said i was a vegetarian, wife still is so we dont use real meat. its a meat substitute, called TOFU CRUMBLES. you can find it on this page: http://www.marjonspecialtyfoods.com/items.php?cat=39&subcat=159#

showcase 66

When my wife was pregnant with our second child, my wife pretty much turned into a vegetarian. Except for bacon. Any other meat would make her sick, but bacon didnt bother her one bit. We ate a lot of bacon those 9 months. I needed some kind of meat for me.
Not a big fan of tofu. At least if I am the one cooking it. I have heard it takes a while to figure out how to cook it well. My brother-in-law is a chef and worked at a raw restaurant and then at a vegetarian one. He made a tofu alfredo for my wife that was pretty good. I tried to recreate it with his recipe. Tasted like crap.

OldPaint

VEGAN, is what the Alfredo recipe was for. they eat no ANIMAL PRODUCED FOOD. i was a LACTO-OVO vegetarian, which means i ate eggs & dairy products. i will agree with you on foods without dairy/egg SUCK))))))))))))))))))))