• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hanging sign from concrete ceiling

bigben

I have few aluminum signs that need to me fix on a concrete ceiling. The sign is 10in high X 48in wide make of 12g aluminum. The cables/chain will be between 20in to 25in long and fixed on a concrete ceiling. I'm looking for the best practice and products to anchor this safely. Is there a specific product for this or I just use regular steel wire or chains with a standard concrete anchor/bolt?

Thanks.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I typically use Hilti 1/4" drop-in anchors, their setting tool, eye bolts with a 1/4 20 thread, and aircraft cable with ferrules and thimbles.

20191212_112659_1.jpg
20191212_111745.jpg
20191212_111712.jpg
20191212_111734.jpg
20191212_112544_1.jpg

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I'd want a plate with a loop welded to it held in with 4 epoxied anchors. Shear vs tensile strength, that's a heavy sheet hanging up there.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
If it's in a concrete ceiling, I'm guessing parking garage or simar. If that's the case, your main concern needs to be avoiding PT cable. If you damage a PT cable, some pretty horrible things can happen. If you're drilling and see colored plastic bits coming out, your day just got really bad. The longer your anchor or fastener, the greater chance you have of hitting PT cable. Some builders won't allow you to drill unless you use a specified length of anchor (often the Hilti I posted) or unless you have the area checked with GP radar prior to drilling.

Those little tiny anchors I posted will easily handle the sign panels you have and should keep you away from PT cable. The allowable loads of those anchors are somewhere around 300 pounds for shear and tension. The ultimate loads are five times the allowable. They're incredibly strong. 7x7 ⅛" aircraft cable is rated for over 1,000 pounds. It's a pretty bulletproof setup I've used on somewhere around a few hundred of these types of signs in parking garages. Zero failures.

rjssigns

If it's in a concrete ceiling, I'm guessing parking garage or simar. If that's the case, your main concern needs to be avoiding PT cable. If you damage a PT cable, some pretty horrible things can happen. If you're drilling and see colored plastic bits coming out, your day just got really bad. The longer your anchor or fastener, the greater chance you have of hitting PT cable. Some builders won't allow you to drill unless you use a specified length of anchor (often the Hilti I posted) or unless you have the area checked with GP radar prior to drilling.

Those little tiny anchors I posted will easily handle the sign panels you have and should keep you away from PT cable. The allowable loads of those anchors are somewhere around 300 pounds for shear and tension. The ultimate loads are five times the allowable. They're incredibly strong. 7x7 ⅛" aircraft cable is rated for over 1,000 pounds. It's a pretty bulletproof setup I've used on somewhere around a few hundred of these types of signs in parking garages. Zero failures.
Great information and another reason I stopped doing a lot of installs I used to do.

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
We basically do the same thing as Moze but with a different brand of drop in anchors. I do like how shallow those Hilti's are tho, might have to check those out. We typically use 1/4-20 threaded versions with some short eye bolts in the anchors, 1/8" stainless cable. We always have someone call out a max depth for anchors for us to work with as well.