• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hard time getting vinyl over to transfer paper

Shine

I'm having a hard time getting vinyl over to transfer paper. I use transparent plastic transfer paper.
My cutter is set to minimal presser when cutting but i still have a hard time getting it over to transfer paper.
I was thinking would it make any difference if i changed the cutting blade? Right now i'm using a 45° blade. If i changed it to 30° or 60° would that make it easier to get the vinyl over to transfer paper?
Or am i way off thinking its the blade?

Johnny Best

If it weeds alright then it is not the blade. Could be you need a higher tack transfer paper or using polyester backing on vinyl or transfer paper is old and lost its tack.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I'm having a hard time getting vinyl over to transfer paper. I use transparent plastic transfer paper.
My cutter is set to minimal presser when cutting but i still have a hard time getting it over to transfer paper.
I was thinking would it make any difference if i changed the cutting blade? Right now i'm using a 45° blade. If i changed it to 30° or 60° would that make it easier to get the vinyl over to transfer paper?
I'm having a hard time comprehending what you are asking. If you are having issues with application paper sticking to the weeded out vinyl then you either need to apply more pressure when applying the app tape or you need to switch to a higher tack paper.

tulsagraphics

Yeah, the clear transfer films aren't as aggressive as their paper counterparts. I sometimes use high tack clear, and it's comparable to a medium tack paper tape. Of course, it also depends on what type of vinyl you're cutting (some are more aggressive than others). Whenever I need the extra tack, I'll use TransferRite's AirMask film. It's very aggressive, so it should not be used for wet installs. I only use AirMask when working with air release films (e.g., vehicle graphics) to make installs a bit easier, or when giving air-release graphics (IJ180, SLX, etc) to a customer for DIY install since it won't get damaged as easily (humidity, poor stacking, etc). AirMask is a bit pricey though!

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
:welcome: 2 :signs101smilie:
step one: cut the vinyl.
step two: weed out the unwanted vinyl. This is where the pressure of the cut matters. If it don't weed well then you may be cutting too deep or too light.
step three: apply masking over the vinyl. You may have to run a squeegee over it front and back to get the vinyl to release from the backing easy when you apply it to the substrate,

signheremd

We definitely need more details to give you the right answer. But if the vinyl is an etch, you need the right transfer mask material as not all stick to some of the etch options. Example, we stock high tack application tape, but frosted sparkle etch vinyl needs 3M prespacing tape (or equivalent).

Shine

I will try getting some high tack paper and se if that does the trick.
I am cutting blank black vinyl for store windows. It weeds normally no issues.
Thank you all for your answers.