• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has anyone ever put graphics on Birch Plywood?

Stacey K

I like making signs
Very similar to the many cornhole boards I've made vinyl for. They absolutely need to put a couple coats of a glossier clear on it. Most people tell me they use 2-3 coats then apply the vinyl. If it's cut vinyl they apply 2 more finish coats. I use the 3MIJ35 vinyl and it works well and then add whatever sheen laminate.

GC Decor

Super Printer
Makes no sense. By the time you clear coat it you can paint it.

More importantly, better check with the trade show venue before doing anything. Most have union contracts requiring all assembly to be done by union carpenters. You can't even bring in a screwdriver! That's why all these clever lightweight (and expensive) trade show booths that clip and velcro together.
Just depends on the event & Location - Being in the woodworking and printing industry I can tell you there are a ton of wood displays at tradeshows & events (Pre-Covid - Haven't been to many in the past year). Did visit a huge builder show and there was a ton of wood trade displays, same for furniture shows - lots of rustic wood setups (Only two shows Ive been to in the past 2 years).

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
We stick vinyl to raw wood alot, but we have them put 2 or 3 coats of clear on the plywood then apply your graphics after clear coat has dried. And if they really want it to stay, have them bury the decals in a few more coats of clear.
We do Hardwood school gym floors and corn hole game boards this way. I wouldn't do it though unless they clear coat it first.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Very similar to the many cornhole boards I've made vinyl for. They absolutely need to put a couple coats of a glossier clear on it. Most people tell me they use 2-3 coats then apply the vinyl. If it's cut vinyl they apply 2 more finish coats. I use the 3MIJ35 vinyl and it works well and then add whatever sheen laminate.
Interesting. I've wrapped a few cornhole boards, but they weren't coated or painted with anything. I wonder how they held up.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Interesting. I've wrapped a few cornhole boards, but they weren't coated or painted with anything. I wonder how they held up.
Did the vinyl stick? Last year I made some for my cousin, he had 1 maple set and 1 pine set. I told him to clear coat, well he didn't and then he called and said the vinyl wouldn't stick...I think it stuck OK to the maple but not the pine. Once he clear coated it stuck fine then he went over it a couple more times. It wasn't a wrap, one was the Titos logo just in the middle and the other was Malibu. Yes, I know, illegal but it's my cousin so it doesn't count lol. My cornhole board lady usually paints her's then put the vinyl decal on that then clear coats.

I wonder if it depends what kind of wood is used?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Did the vinyl stick? Last year I made some for my cousin, he had 1 maple set and 1 pine set. I told him to clear coat, well he didn't and then he called and said the vinyl wouldn't stick...I think it stuck OK to the maple but not the pine. Once he clear coated it stuck fine then he went over it a couple more times. It wasn't a wrap, one was the Titos logo just in the middle and the other was Malibu. Yes, I know, illegal but it's my cousin so it doesn't count lol. My cornhole board lady usually paints her's then put the vinyl decal on that then clear coats.

It stuck just fine. It was fully covered, we used ij35 c. This was about 5 years ago. No idea what kind of wood maybe pine? It was light in color.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
This, coating hardwood faced plywood so vinyl will adhere, is the only legitimate use for Frog Juice.

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
Not ideal at all to apply vinyl to unsealed wood but if you have to put probond primer around the perimeter. Duravinyl 435 or Flexcon Billboard SAV is best bet. Always wrap edges to back and staple as well. Wood should always be primed and painted before applying SAV. You are going to have trouble

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica

I heard that Tex is an expert with cornholes.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Clad it with direct printed or vinyl wrapped 1 to 3 mil pvc. No waiting, no peeling. Panels can be stuck on at the show so there's no damage moving & setting up.