• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has anyone ever put graphics on Birch Plywood?

Customer has a trade show booth made out of birch plywood and doesn't want to paint it.
Anyone recommend a vinyl that will stick well?
Also need to go around the corners.

Attachments

• IMG_20220607_104840.jpg
    IMG_20220607_104840.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_20220607_104843.jpg
    IMG_20220607_104843.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 179

rjssigns

i would walk away from it, personally. most vinyl doesn't stick well to unfinished wood and the ones that have an aggressive enough adhesion, the client isn't going to want to pay for because this is for a tradeshow.
I agree with this statement. Or...you could ask your client about mopping on some clear so the vinyl will stick.

i would walk away from it, personally. most vinyl doesn't stick well to unfinished wood and the ones that have an aggressive enough adhesion, the client isn't going to want to pay for because this is for a tradeshow.
I have to do it, it's the company I work for...uhgg

Trying to talk them into applying a sealer or finish that might hold the vinyl better... I hate this.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Then, you work for a very cheap stupid company. This is like trying to make a cake, using only vegetables. It won't even last transporting it. You'll be lucky if ya get one use out of it.

Ya hafta...... stupid dumb reason. You're gonna need about 7 coats of clear, so get enough. I don't get this other dumb statement. They don't want paint, but they'll go for clear. Clear will soak in and soak in for many coats, before it starts creating a surface vinyl will stick to.

You'll do better wrapping it in carpeting and velcroing signs to it.

Then, you work for a very cheap stupid company. This is like trying to make a cake, using only vegetables. It won't even last transporting it. You'll be lucky if ya get one use out of it.

Ya hafta...... stupid dumb reason. You're gonna need about 7 coats of clear, so get enough. I don't get this other dumb statement. They don't want paint, but they'll go for clear. Clear will soak in and soak in for many coats, before it starts creating a surface vinyl will stick to.

You'll do better wrapping it in carpeting and velcroing signs to it.
It's the owners son, he built these booths to sell to vendors and now we are less than two weeks till the show and it's left to me to put graphics on them... frustrating to say the least.

I just laid the whole thing out to the son and he said to just make it last thru the show so I feel better now. Using a tacky wall vinyl that sticks pretty well with upholstery tacks for the edges...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, then the owner's son is dumb and cheap. :thumb:

I don't think I've seen a wooden trade show booth in over 35 years. We used to make booths and they were totally breakdownable and super lightweight. Some went into containers and others traveled just so. That looks like you're building a wooden tank. I wouldnt wanna break that down and slop it into a truck and then set it back up. And this dude wantsa sell these ?? What does he do for a living ?? A chiropractor ??

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
spray pre-cat lacquer 1 coat, dry, sand it to knock off the raised grain, then spray 2 more wet coats. It dries fast, you should be able to get it at sherwin williams

Notarealsignguy

Cripes, get an ACM folding bit next time! That's a lot of wood, you'd likely make 5 booths for same material cost.
Or just come in after they leave for the evening and paint it... as an owner's son, yes, literally all of us are morons, and every dime counts twice. Once when it's spent, and once again when that cost gets thrown back in your face by your old man...
Honestly, why isn't this the owner's sons problem? On second thought, stick it on there. You told them what to do, it's on them when it falls off. The way it is built makes it difficult to paint or do anything with if you want it to look nice and dont use a pile of filler, at least IMO

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
We’ve mounted a lot of gf 203 and other permanent vinyls to birch ply with no problems or peeling. Sometimes we use higher tack vinyl as well but we’ve never really had any issues. Ideally wrap it over the edge and maybe secure the wrap on the back side with a staple gun etc but we’ve done it a lot if different ways and yes it’s always trade show booths. If in doubt sometimes we’ll do 3mm pvc and adhere that to the panels but usually the booths aren’t perfect and then we’re trimming a bunch of pvc on site which sucks. I’m not saying that applying to the ply is a good idea but at least for us when we’ve needed to do it it’s been fine as long as it was higher end nice and smooth birch ply.

GC Decor

Super Printer
We have worked with Baltic Birch for Years. Simply apply a clear coat / quick light sand / apply more coats as needed. Sanding in between will give you a smoother finish
I would spray it, fastest and most consistent option but you either need a spray booth or to be outside.
If you use a quality Wall Film you shouldn't have a problem.
We normally UV print our wood panels and Displays - Saves time but still needs to be sealed before printing and again after.
Before US and Russia relations went to Sh!! we imported several containers a month of Baltic Birch - Great for Machining and was low cost at one point, Sadly not the case anymore.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Makes no sense. By the time you clear coat it you can paint it.

More importantly, better check with the trade show venue before doing anything. Most have union contracts requiring all assembly to be done by union carpenters. You can't even bring in a screwdriver! That's why all these clever lightweight (and expensive) trade show booths that clip and velcro together.

Notarealsignguy

We’ve mounted a lot of gf 203 and other permanent vinyls to birch ply with no problems or peeling. Sometimes we use higher tack vinyl as well but we’ve never really had any issues. Ideally wrap it over the edge and maybe secure the wrap on the back side with a staple gun etc but we’ve done it a lot if different ways and yes it’s always trade show booths. If in doubt sometimes we’ll do 3mm pvc and adhere that to the panels but usually the booths aren’t perfect and then we’re trimming a bunch of pvc on site which sucks. I’m not saying that applying to the ply is a good idea but at least for us when we’ve needed to do it it’s been fine as long as it was higher end nice and smooth birch ply.
It would likely stick to the face but what about the edges? Running a roundover bit on the edges will just expose more of the plys. I'm not a carpenter but I'd think that he would be better off capping the ends with hardwood and then rounding.