• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has anyone replaced their Maxi press teflon shuttle with another material?

Dan Berg

We purchased a used 42x62 Knight manual Maxi press. It has a beautiful aluminum shuttle except for the torn teflon fabric shuttle blanket. Knight can replace the fabric shuttle to the tune of $800. ($145 a yard) We are not going to be using the shuttle as it was intended but will be laying out our large chromaluxe panels on one side , more as a lay up table. It has to be strong enough to hold a 40x60" Chromaluxe panel. Any ideas what can be used instead of Teflon? We thought about getting a large bolt of poly poplin and making up a double strength shuttle blanket. We would have it hemmed around the outside for the 1/8" brass rods to slide into for the springs to hook onto. Polypoplin is $3.95 a yard and the seamstress wants $75 to sew one. That comes to $123.00 for one blanket compared to $800. Thoughts?

soggywinter

I'd worry about poly getting worn out from the heat, but it wouldn't cost much to experiment. ahh.biz sells a variety of exotic industrial fabrics including steel fabric that might work for this application.

Dan Berg

I think we will make up a double strength black one. All it has to do is hold the weight of one metal print until you slide it to the middle under the platen. Then it is under the metal when pressing. If it lasts a year I would be happy. We might press big ones once a week to start.