• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has anyone rooted their Epic from Sprint?

showcase 66

I have been thinking of rooting my Epic so I can use the Wireless Tether app. A buddy of mine had showed me the app a couple weeks back but you have to root the phone. He had the Hero and it took it a while for him to get it to work.

Some places I was reading about it had said that rooting the phone can cause problems and others have said they have had no problems.

Just curious if anyone has done it or not and how it is working now.

Thanks.

p3

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices

Thats what I have running on my phone currently, although I have an EVO. you don't need to root it to use the tethering if you have a gmail address I can send you the app so you can do it without it. You just need to have tattachapkinstaller to install the app from your email since its not from the market. Some features still aren't going to work once rooted, for instance I can't use the wireless hotspot on mine, still have to pay. The one plus about rooting it is mine now runs so much faster, and the battery lasts almost 2 complete days. You will screw up some features like the GPS and what not. I think if you know what your doing rooting should not be a problem as mine only took maybe 10 minutes. Just a matter of copying files and letting your phone do the rest. But if your just looking for the tethering I set my mom up with easy tether. You can also get apps from droidappz.org. just make a log in and use tattachapk installer and send the apps to your gmail and install from there.

This is a lot of ramble but if you need help lemme know :) lol

saktrnch

Check out June Fabrics.com. My phone's not rooted and I use pda to tether. They let you have a free trail.

tanneji

I have my captivate rooted ( its another galaxy s phone) ... Nothing bad has come out of it and its super easy to do. xda-developers forums are the best place to find out about that stuff. I also have the wireless tether on there and it works great :) I don't use it too much because ATT has been cracking down on that stuff but it comes in handy in a pinch

showcase 66

I have easy tether for the phone and I absolutely love it for my laptop. I want the wireless tether for my iPad. I have the app already, but I have to root the phone yo use it.

PM Sent also

showcase 66

I am having problems trying to root it. I went to samsungepichacks.com to try and root the phone, have done everything it says and in the command prompt it always says failed to copy

This is driving me crazy now.

Any advice

tanneji

I am having problems trying to root it. I went to samsungepichacks.com to try and root the phone, have done everything it says and in the command prompt it always says failed to copy

This is driving me crazy now.

Any advice

go to xda-developers (google it) and then go to forums (link at the top in the brown bar). then go to the epic section (sorted under samsung) and they will have a rooting guide, software etc.

Freese

go to xda-developers (google it) and then go to forums (link at the top in the brown bar). then go to the epic section (sorted under samsung) and they will have a rooting guide, software etc.
This.

I rooted my Evo4G with alot of help from this forum.

I also found a good custom ROM on this site.