• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Has anyone tried 3M IJ175CV3 ?

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Just curious if anyone has given the IJ175CV3 a shot, and what it compares like to IJ180 or other vehicle vinyls? Just shopping around and curious about it.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I haven't, but if it's easier to work with than IJ180cv3 I might have to give it a shot. Is the price point lower?

The 3M site mentions it is stretchable to 130% - but doesn't mention anywhere what IJ180cv3 can stretch.

Do they compromise some of the conformability/stretch to achieve the lower initial tack?

(Sorry to respond to your question with more questions, but I'm curious about this material too!)

Edited to add: Looks like both will stretch to 130% - see attached.

Attachments

• 3M Wrap films.pdf
    189.1 KB · Views: 205

Pewter0000

I haven't, but if it's easier to work with than IJ180cv3 I might have to give it a shot. Is the price point lower?

The 3M site mentions it is stretchable to 130% - but doesn't mention anywhere what IJ180cv3 can stretch.

Do they compromise some of the conformability/stretch to achieve the lower initial tack?

(Sorry to respond to your question with more questions, but I'm curious about this material too!)

Edited to add: Looks like both will stretch to 130% - see attached.

Yeah, I was really mostly interested in the comparison, esp tackyness and repositionability; I can manage the print stuff on our end but I'd like to give our installer the easiest time transitioning if we did.

I think we might request a sample so I'll let people know if we do.

Pewter0000

They used to call this non-removable. I see it's listed as "Lesser removal capabilities when compared to film IJ180Cv3 and IJ180mC-10."
We use this on print/cut vinyl for an installer out of town from me. He had been using ij180 for years, I sent him this stuff and he couldn't tell.
If you are looking for a recommendation for slideability, the Arlon SLX+ stuff is crazy. I've never seen a vinyl you could drag around a 5'x5' square from one corner until this stuff showed up. It's a little cheaper than 3m, and has a nice cut/weed feel to it. Though it's worth noting, use low tac premask, otherwise the premask sticks much faster than the vinyl, and nearly pulls the vinyl up with it when doing cut letters and the like.

Thanks for the feedback! Our installer can be a bit picky about the media, but we're really flexible. So we wanted to try something else out without him getting antsy about it. "Lesser Removeable", an interesting way to put it. Does that refer to repositioning while applying, or when removing a wrap?

I personally love printing on Arlon but he absolutely hated working with it because of that lack of tack. Guess it wasn't his cup of tea. I really liked the print side of it though.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Arlon is nice...and I was on a call about the SLX+ this morning with my rep and he said the tack is increasing on it vs the SLX. Im awaiting a sample roll in the near future.

edawg

Just curious if anyone has given the IJ175CV3 a shot, and what it compares like to IJ180 or other vehicle vinyls? Just shopping around and curious about it.
Yes, this is the material we use. That is correct it WILL leave adhesive residue behind. Much more than IJ180. Prints and installs just like IJ180. It is cheaper, however if you know you will be removing it yourself later down the line go with IJ180. Save yourself the headache. Installers will not notice the difference when installing, but they will say, "is this 3M IJ180!?" when removing it.

Pewter0000

Yes also to add to this ancient thread, we recently had to try Arlon SLX+ because it was all that was available on short notice, and it wasn't bad. Installer was hesitant about it, but it worked great and printed well. so I really can't complain. Didn't have a chance to try cutting anything tiny out of it yet though.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Yes also to add to this ancient thread, we recently had to try Arlon SLX+ because it was all that was available on short notice, and it wasn't bad. Installer was hesitant about it, but it worked great and printed well. so I really can't complain. Didn't have a chance to try cutting anything tiny out of it yet though.
It does cut well, even small stuff. I tried it based on jburtons advice. I was gonna stick with it but when I went to order another roll it was out of stock, so was 1105, 180, 175, slx etc. The liner comes off easier than 1105 which is nice when you're stuck working in the sun and heat.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Don't cut any lettering out of it. It will not hold up. We have 2 rolls of slx+ that we bought in a pinch but our installers hate it compared to avery 1105.

Pewter0000

It does cut well, even small stuff. I tried it based on jburtons advice. I was gonna stick with it but when I went to order another roll it was out of stock, so was 1105, 180, 175, slx etc. The liner comes off easier than 1105 which is nice when you're stuck working in the sun and heat.
Wow, that's pretty much everything out of stock. What did you have to go with?

I'm pushing 40+ vans with cut lettering over the past ~2 years. Haven't had a complaint yet. Biggest issue was trying to install it in February since the vehicles are left outside overnight, heat is a must for getting any of it to stick below 50F.
Don't cut any lettering out of it. It will not hold up. We have 2 rolls of slx+ that we bought in a pinch but our installers hate it compared to avery 1105.

I've heard both of these. This afternoon I've got some SLX+ with a range of text from 5"h down to .25"h (lol) so we'll see today!

Notarealsignguy

Wow, that's pretty much everything out of stock. What did you have to go with?

I've heard both of these. This afternoon I've got some SLX+ with a range of text from 5"h down to .25"h (lol) so we'll see today!
IJ40 with 8518, it was pretty flat so should be fine

Notarealsignguy

Why do you say that? I'm pretty sure the + is meant to be plotted as well as printed. That's how it's marketed.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Why do you say that? I'm pretty sure the + is meant to be plotted as well as printed. That's how it's marketed.
We just had a few failures of the lettering a few months after install with it. The edges started rolling back and the decals looked like they were bubbling up everywhere. The bubbles were not huge, probably no bigger than a pencil eraser. They told me that we didnt press hard enough and post heat good enough. The thing is it didnt fail for several months and I would have thought it would have failed a lot quicker if we had installed it wrong.

If it works for you then run with it.

Pewter0000

Do report back. All of my text was very reasonable, 2"-6", nice chunky fonts.
Chopped some lil' text today on the SLX+ and didn't really mind it - weeding was a lot better than SLX , no flying letters. We didn't get as small as .25", as it was a cursive font and just a silly test anyway. I think I still like the 1105 better, honestly, but a good product.